Question about upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidd

Baseband Member
I have a really bad computer. I bought a Dell last year for about (650$) and it is like a factory model. It has a 80 gig HDD, 128MB RAM, though I don't know how to find out the Cache size. I am thinking of upgrading the RAM card from 128MB to a 512MB hoping to get my computer speed a lot faster. Along with a new RAM card, I am planing on getting a new graphics card (probably a GeForce 6600).

My CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 2.8Ghz speed. As of right now the speed is really bad. I think this is due to the RAM or the Cache. Is there any way to increase a cache as well as RAM?

Thanks in advance.

No way to raise cache... I think you're talking about the PCU cache. If you're not, then I have no idea what you're talking about.

128MB? Ouch.

A 2.8 ain't nothing to sneeze at. You ought to be good with that. Post your model number and I'll pull its specs.

Also, go here(http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=534983#post534983) , read the post, and do what it says (all the steps). That will probably help you out a bit as well.

Dell Dimension 2400.

I also did the MSCONFIG, and cleaned up all the stuff I didn't want to start up which made it a bit faster.

Next, I will probably defrag it.

I also ran a dxdiag, and these are the specs:

Current Date/Time: Monday, November 25, 2005, 11:04:37

Computer Name: ******(for my protection)-RPC64EXM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corperation

System Model: Dimension 2400

BIOS: Pheonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.88Ghz, ~2.8Ghz

Memory: 126MB RAM

Page file: 266MB used, 35MB Available

DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Trotter said:

A 2.8 ain't nothing to sneeze at. You ought to be good with that.

but its an intel so 2.8 isnt the best...

the cache is only something for your computer to refer back to... like a storage area for something that it thinks it will need to use again and numerous times... like a function

Well I am going to go buy a 512 MB stick some time this week and hopefully be able to play some of the games I have (such as Juiced, Guild Wars, ect.)

specs from the dxdiag, what do you guys think?:

I also ran a dxdiag, and these are the specs:

Current Date/Time: Monday, November 25, 2005, 11:04:37

Computer Name: ******(for my protection)-RPC64EXM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corperation

System Model: Dimension 2400

BIOS: Pheonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.88Ghz, ~2.8Ghz

Memory: 126MB RAM

Page file: 266MB used, 35MB Available

DirectX Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

The max you comp can handle is 1 gig of RAM, up to 2x512MB.

You don't have a graphics card slot, just 3 PCI slots. There are some old-school PCI cards, but they are rather slow by today's standards.

The best you can get from NewEgg is either a GeForce FX5500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133134[/url]) or a Radeon 9250 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102434).

You mobo can handle 400MHz/533MHz FSB, so your CPU is about as good as you can put in it.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

There is, but I don't know off the top of my head.

You may want to post that in the Windows forum... There's a reason i'm in Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom