Laptop RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK

Solid State Member
I own a HP Compaq NX6120 with a 1.3GHz Celeron M Processor and 256MB of RAM. I've had problems with an app which is due to low RAM. With the CPU speed I have, what RAM should I get to maximize my notebook's speed? I have only 2 slots (DDR333).

A minimum of 512MB should be observed when using Windows XP.

Considering that you probably aren't gaming on it, 512 should do you good. 1gig would be the max I'd pop in it, period.

I heard mixing ram lags pretty badly if it dual channels =/. I'd recommend buying 2x 512 mb sticks over a 1 gig and a 256.

Meaning it uses both. Splits it up b/w the two sticks, basically.

2 sticks are better than 1! Ah hah... haha... er... yeah :wooha:

so is there a difference which ram "sticks" a process uses first? can't i just put the 1gig in place of the 256 now and the other for the 256?

MK said:
so is there a difference which ram "sticks" a process uses first? can't i just put the 1gig in place of the 256 now and the other for the 256?

Do you mean replace the 256 witha 1 gig and add another 1gig in the open slot? You could, but it'd probably be more than you need.

no i mean instead of putting the 1gb in the 2nd slot it goes where the 256 was. and the 256 in the 2nd slot.
...if that makes a difference as to which the computer will retrieve ram from first.

If your mobo dual channels, it'll hit both. If it doesn't, I think it'd hit the one in the first slot.... I could be wrong, but that's what seems to make sense. If your motherboard does dual channel, it might alter performance b/c it's still mixed and d.c. goes to both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom