Decided on processor, right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrserv0n

Baseband Member
I have been researching processors for past 3 hours and have found the Athlon 64 3800+ Venice core. It cost a reasonable price of $282.00 and ranks very high on Toms hardwares CPU charts before jumping into the $400-800 price range.

The alternative is the 3800+ X2 for $322 , however this scores sigfiantly lower scores on the CPU charts under all gaming circumstances when it comes to games, which is what I am buying this for.

So, is it to early for dual core? It looks the like cheaper single core blows this out of the water.

The 3800+ is a 2.4GHz processor with 512KB L2 cache.

The X2 3800+ is a Dual Core 2.0GHz Processor with each core having 512KB L2 cache.

The reason the X2 3800+ scored lower is because games only run on a single thread, thus only one of the 2.0GHz cores of the X2 3800+ are used.

If going single-core, I suggest the Athlon 64 4000+. Its in the low $300s. Its basically also a 2.4GHz processor, but with 1MB L2 cahce. The extra cache makes maybe .1 GHz of difference, but the 4000+ is definately the better processor.

Thanks for the info Flanker. So even though the 3800 X2 scores lower due to games running single core, When do u think they will begin using the dual core? By the time they do will it be time to buy a new chip anyway. or should I prepare for the future with the X2 now?

Well, most people on here believe that Dual Core is the future and the first Dual-Core supporting game comes out sometime in the first half of 2006, but personally, I think its overrated. Maybe its just your bad luck to be stuck with me, but I think the faster processing speed given by single-core processors gives the same performance as a Dual Core processors (in games). Ofcourse in pure speed, the Dual Core is faster, but as far as the processor's performance in games goes, not much difference.

You might still want to prepare, but in the end its your own choice.

Well thanks for the advice maverick, I am going to take your word for it, because I feel the same way. I am going to go order the 4000+ for the extra 35 dollars. thanks again

Oh one more thing, can you tell me what Motherboard to buy for this, I don't overclock but want something stable and good for gaming and a 7800GT PCI xpress

Also Do I want the clawhammer 4000+ or the sandiego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom