newbie - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeg

In Runtime
ok, i would like to build a good gaming computer. i play AmericasArmy mostly, but i would like to also get Medal of Honor 2, and such games.

i currently have like a 2-3yr old computer from gateway. now i was wondering if i should try and update that, or build my own computer?

i would be building this is stages, not all at once. being 16 with a minimal job money flows slowly Crying

few things id like to know:

what are some good sites to shop from?
the motherboard, how do i know parts with work with each other?
what brands do you like, what are best for gaming?

-----------

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/features/52232/UGM_Price_List.html

im kinda basing it off of that, but not spending that much at a time. im getting what i need and then updating or adding more to that. i would like to use the SLI system

if you dont want to click link, here is thier specs on thier computer.

Product Price
CPU AMD Athlon FX-57 $1,100.00

Motherboard Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe $166.00

HDD 2X WD740 Raptor; 4x WD3200 $1,050.00

Video Card 2x Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX $1,070.00

RAM 4x 512MB Corsair XMS Xpert $520.00

Sound Card Creative Audigy4 Pro $280.00

Case Koolance PC3-725SL $470.00

Water Blocks 2x for Vid Cards, CPU $260.00

Power Supply Seasonic S12-600 (600W) $160.00

Fans 4x Antec Tri-Power Blue LED $44.00

Lighting Kit Logisys Cold Cathode Lighting Kit $6.00

Optical Drive Lite-ON 16x DVD+-RW IDE Drive $50.00

i wasent going to get that video card for obvious reasons lol, im starting with 1gb of ram... deff. not that case lol.

i dont know what CPU to get, that motherboard i am getting tho (A8N-SLI Deluxe). so yea, im basing it off of this, but not as crazy.

even tho the motherboard supports 2 cpu's, 2 vc, and such.. do you have to have both for it to work, or can u have one. i dont want to speend 1k right off to beable to use the computer.

also do you recomend and kind of cases, and what watt of power will i need guessing on what i have so far?

dont kno if it works but here is my wishlist on newegg.com

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...tion=HISTORY&ID=1773722&WishListTitle=buylist

i saved it, and its shared - buylist

thx for your time, and help

From the top...

The FX-57 is awesome, but you really don't need it. You can go with a less powerful chip and overclock it up to and beyond the FX.

Speaking of overclocking, the mobo of choice in these parts is the DFI Lanparty SLI. It overclocks above and beyond, literally.

Forget Raptors. While they are the best out there in terms of speed, the micro-seconds they save is beyond the human ability to sense. You're better off cost wise to get a couple or four Seagates with NCQ. You can probably get four of them for the cost of two Raptors.

The 7800 GTX is top-o-the-line, but the 7800 GS is more cost effective, and if it overclocks like the 6800 GS you can match or surpass the GTX.

Four gigs of RAM? Two will get any game known to man just fine. Four would be for massive video encoding/manipulation, CAD, and such.

A sound card is a good idea, but an less you are an anal-retentive audiophile, you can get by with a much less expensive card.

As far as cases go, go with your personal preferences. I lean toward Antec and ThermalTake, myself.

Watercooling is good, especially when overclocking. But it not a necessity. Your call on that one.

Power supplys are a major decission. Look at Antec and PC Cooling & Power (or vice-versa). Definately stay in the 550W+ range.

You can never have too many fans. Watch how much noise each is rated for, or you'll need major speakers just to hear anything besides your comp.

Lighting is eye-candy. Personal preference.

Go with two opticals. Get a DVD burner, and a DVD drive, possibly a CD-RW/DVD.

Yes, this is off the list you posted, but not the NewEgg one. Why? Because I wanted to show you some comparison. Buy what you need and can afford. You can always upgrade later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Your link doesn't go to your list.

Shows like that promote their sponsors. Hah. You can do just as good/a lot better for a good bit cheaper, imo. And it's generally easier to just start from scratch; sell the dell for extra money or keep it as a scrap/backup :p

PM pzerofgh (or somethin like that :amazed: ) with your budget and what you want and he'll put together a good system for ya. Or so his siggy claims ;)

Another big thing. Do you plan to overclock it or nah?

Cpu? Probably an AMD athlon 64
Mobo looks decent; ASUS or MSI are good
Vid card? A 7800 GT would suit any gamer very well. Though runnin one dual core seems a bit overkill; there aren't any games out yet that are THAT gfx intense ~_~. 1x will probably do ya fine. Right now MSI 256mb 7800GT is only 330 bucks. Comes with a game too :eek: .
Idk why the recommend 2 gigs of ram, most most players seem to need is 1 (2x 512).
Soundcard.... nto really necessary. Most mobos have good enuff integrated sound.
Case... up to you; as long as it has good cooling, the right slots, and of course looks cool, it's all preference :D
Can't say i've heard of water blocks. Is that a water coolign system?
Fans, good
Psu? Idk about that one. I'm sure someone else will say somethin, though a good 600w for 160. Idk

Skeeg said:
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1773722&WishListTitle=BUYLIST

thats what i have on there... dunno if that is anygood.

but overclocking.. dont rly know what it is or how to do, i have a general idea.. if i learn how i will be doing that lol.

also i figure if SLI can take 2 video cards, then 2 good ones will match the power of a rly good one, plus with oc it can bypass as you said ( Trotter )

Assuming you've already checked that all that's compatable with each other, the only thing I'd disagree with is the choice of a jaton gfx card...And for sure the choice of ram. That mobo supports dual channeling, so 2x 512 mb ram sticks would be better than 1x 1 gig stick :confused:

That doesn't look like an overclocking system, though I'm not a guru on that topic ~_~

And finally. A 7800 gt IS a really good one, oc'ed, crossfired/sli'ed, or by itself. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't a game out that there has higher graphics than a single 7800 gt can handle with the game on maximum settings

ok so 2x 512 mb ram, ok im down with that.

like i said b-4, dont rly know what overclocking is all about so i dunno how to make a overclocking system. i have very very limitied knowledge to computer components.

after seeing what u guys said ive begain looking for a new vc.. still looking around, ima be doing some hw on this for few weeks b-4 i buy anything.

oh, what cards do you think will be good, id like to get 1 now, then get another once i get most of the main components.

I see no reason to buy 4 Cold Cath. fans, led fans are UV reactive, and since you already have a barm you don't need the fans.

FX-57 is the best SINGLE-core out there, but for much less you get a lot more performance from a 4800 x2 or a Opteron. Both can be OCed to FX-57 speeds and since they are dual-core, gives better performance on programs that support dual-core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom