Very interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Alot of my programs shut down without notice. Also, my computer randomly restarts to an instant boot screen. When it restarts, i get a BSOD, then it restarts and boots normally.

I have a VERY interesting application log for someone if they want to peek at it. I can't figure out whats wrong with my computer. Alot of things are getting Event ID 1000, but when i looked that up, it had nothing to do with my system.

I have had BSOD erros such as

unmountable_boot_volume

bad_pool_header

there have been many. I have done a fresh install of windows twice. I have formatted 3 times. I have changed hardware twice. It doesn' make sense.

When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.
So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

your harddrive might be dying Crysalis. what kind is it? I might have tools to check it with. backup data immediately

you can try uninstalling sp2 first and see if it goes away. some dells just do that (bad pool header)

hard drives are fine. Both are brand new. I've tried using both of them as the boot drive... didn't help.

I'm not sure how to uninstall sp2 because my XP cd has it already incorporated, so its not listed as an update nor can i "restore" back to another time.

it might be a corrupt file(reinstalling would fix this). use your dianostic cd that came with it to be sure. I had a samsung 200 gig drive that lasted all of 5 days last week

the thing is is that i've done 3 re-installs. I have done all of the diagnostics i know to do. All are fine. I have formatted and installed windows 3 times now, each time on a different hard drive. I'm going to try warez monsters tips once this semester is over. Right now, i dont have the time nor can i take the risk of losing my computer for more than a few hours. I know it should be easy, but i dont doubt anything anymore. I took me a month to get my computer to accept any RAM. LOL

Anyways, i'm just really frustrated. This computer used to run like a dream. I never had ANY problems with it. Now since i had the RAM issue, i have a "newer" mobo, ram and processor (1ghz, 1gig ram). If those suggestions dont work, i'm going to attempt to try and rebuild my old system (i still have everything) with this new RAM. Maybe it will work, i dunno. I'm really quite tired of this... especially since i can't afford to even buy a new HSF!!!!

You may want to check on your cooling. If a fan is stuck or you don't have enough airflow wierd things like this tend to happen. You have a lot in there that could be running your system hot and making it buggy. It's a long shot but if your HDDs are fine this would be my next guess. Well, that or bad RAM.

0x00000019 BAD_POOL_HEADER Invalid Pool Header. There are many reasons that this would appear. Debugging the system would reveal the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom