Old Computer worth salvaging for parts or NOT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewt427

Baseband Member
I have an old computer about 7 years old, PC100 motherboard with an AMD K6-2 350 Ghz. It works fine, but as you now is slow, It doesn't even have a BIOS to try and overclock it, it has a 4 gig hardrive, 96 Mb's of SDRAM, cd-rom drive and standard 3 1/2" floppy, it does have an ATI video card, and a V.90 52k modem, 250 watt powersupply. I am planning on building a gaming rig, something I alway's wanted to do, fast with lots of modding, before I go buying all new, is there anything here worth salvaging for the new one, the case is ugly, so I plan on getting a new one. Or should I just leave it as is and try to sell.

3 1/2 floppy will probably work fine, but everything else I'd say scrap.
The heatsink/CPU fan and all that stuff will be too small to cool a modern-day gamying system, and everything else is basically a waste of space.

However, do send me the 350 GHZ system, I want one of those!

Agreed, Floppy drive is a keeper. Maybe when you get yours finished, donate it to a church or a friend that cant afford one
Kind Regards,

here is an idea, Install a Linux Firewall webserver on it and use that as your first level of protection from the world. That machine is perfect for a firewall and a webserver for like a blog or a picture album...

Good Luck

Inaris as a the idea. Otherwise, from time to time I have to salvage a PC.

Like hard drive. 4 Gb is prefect of an OS drive (Win98/Me/2k).
Memory..... you never know when you have a freind that might need it. I off load my 64Mb SD Ram Module to my flatemate. He has this all in one motherboard with SMA memory. He's really happy that he can jack up the ram. And know he's even playing War Craft III on his "Piece of $#!+" computer.
Modems...... so of dying now that ADSL is about, but i like having my computer to be able to send and recieve faxes from time to time.

Currently, I have turned my old screw about computer into a DVD player. Like I had a spare monitor. The only new piece of gear that i needed to buy was .....
* DVD Rom
* 5 1/4 Drive Bay Speakers.

Now I can watch DVD's while playing Ranarok online.

A computer is not obsolete until it's not doing what you want it to do, or when it's dead.

Keep the computer, just do all the crazy trial thing that you want to do with it. Thats what i do, I have two computers, one on which i try things on and dont care if it all goes work. The other one i only try things that i know how to do. Btw you can always get a new BIOS, which will allow you to overclock, and i think that your motherboard will ahve a unlocked multiplier, which is really useful.

I always thought it be cool to drop a computer off a building.:) Nice big crash. Send it in to Letterman and see what he can do.

To tell you the truth, i do not think it will be that good a idea to throw a computer down a building. It is just as throwing, any other things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom