Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZEROFGH

Golden Master
if i wanted to run raid, do i need two of the exact same drives, or can i just get a seagate 80GB and a WD 80GB? both sata150

IT works I think but I wouldnt do it unless I had 2 of the exact same drives because problems can occur. If the timing on the drive are exactly the same then try it if you have nothing to lose.

so it would work but it might not work.

Average Seek Time 8ms
Average Latency 4.16ms

Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Average Write Time 10.9ms
Average Latency 4.2ms

what do you guys think

the top one is seagate which i have
the bottom one is WD which i can get for cheap on ebay :)

meh, looks like ill have to spend some extra cash and just go with another seagate, and is it hard to setup raid

Setting up raid is fairly easy, if your motherboard has a onboard Raid controller you just press some button (it will say in manual) to enter raid setup. From there its easy to set up. I dont like raid 0 though, too easy to lose data, not worth the performance gain IMO. Unless you had a company, but then Id do raid 5 or 0+1.

well i want something, that would only use 2 hardrives

just bought a seagate 80GB sata150 hdd off of ebay for 52 dollars with shipping. 12 dollars cheaper then from newegg :)

and do i need to do anything, i have this hdd in my system righ tnow, which has only 1% free space left, and im getting my new hdd soon, so how do i distrubte all that stuff to the other hdd, does it do it automatically?

If you make a RAID of those 2 drives everything on the first drive will be wiped. Only thing you can do is put that data on that hard drive onto another one, then after you have the raid set up load it back on.

-Thats if you do a true hardware raid. If you do a windows RAID im not sure how it works, or if you can save the data. Windows raids arnt as good as hardware ones though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom