Barton 2500+ @ 3200+? running slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domwells

In Runtime
Okay I'm slightly confused, I followed advise allowing me to clock to 190 * 11 stable... I then clocked to 195 * 11 giving me a BSOD on entering windows... Fine I thought to myself I'll give it a wee bit more voltage that'll sort it, and lone behold it did...
1.725V Vcore setting in BIOS allowed me to get to 200 * 11 with my RAM running at 166 Dual Channel mode. (2.5 3 3 7) AND it benchmarked fine on 3DMark 2001se (here is the confusing part) my score came out at 12000 (I get 12500 stock and 13300 at 190 * 11).
In MBM 5 it told me the Vcore is 1.78V not 1.725V and the temp maxed at around 57oC in the test.

I have heard that P4's slow themselves down to prevent overheating do you think this is the case or is there another reason why a faster proccy would run slower???

By the way im running a stock heatsink / fan, im gonna upgrade to a volcano 11+ I think I'm just a little bit afraid my computer will sound like a helicopter (any thoughts).

Thanks.

iono what your deal is, but perhaps a crappy chip, and you're just stressing it, remembar not ever peice of hardware can go as far as others, but i don't think that's the case... i have a v12+ @ 3500rpm's (almost silent) with a temp of about 40C

Could you please post more details about your configuration? I mean when you had a 13300,12500,12000 points, what was your frequency for FSB, memory, etc?

kk,
CPU @ 11 * 166, Vcore @ 1.69, RAM @ 166 gives 12500 approx.
CPU @ 11 * 190, Vcore @ 1.69, RAM @ 158 gives 13300 approx.
CPU @ 11 * 200, Vcore @ 1.78, RAM @ 166 gives 12000 approx.
The above scores are all 3dMark 2001se.

It does look strange. Is the 12000 score consistent? How many times you run the tests. Before playing with voltages buy a better cooler. Personally I suggest to buy a v12+ cooler it does sound like a vacuum cleaner at max speed (5400rpm I think) but you can always reduce the speed to 2000rpm and runs very silent. My rig is running now at 2.5Ghz (230x11, 1.8V) with the memory at 166Mhz.
Grasu

I only ran it through the test once because the score made me think that I was damaging something... Does it sound like something that could be caused by too much heat?
I read somewhere that P4's slow themselves down to prevent overheating.
What are your temps at 2.5GHz Grasu?

Aero 7+ looks a very good option. As far as I can see from a quick look at reviews, it will do the job.

For the temperature, I will let you know in 1-week time (I have to build a temperature monitoring device). For the moment, I have no idea because I have no sensor attached to the CPU and personally; I don't trust the bios values. However I think is below 50 C because the air coming out of the heat sink isn't even worm. Usually my rule is that if you can't keep your hand for 1 minute on the heat sink (because is too hot) than the temperature is above 60 C. (the fan is rinning at full speed)

I read somewhere that P4's slow themselves down to prevent overheating.

I don't know about P4, but I never heard of such feature on AMD stuff. (maybe is true for laptop thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom