Cheap Overclockable Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
By cheap i mean under $500. I wanted a dual core just because it will last me longer than a single core and I also wanted to be able to overclock it. I would have just said X2, done but people said they suck at overclocking.

CPU Multiplier has absolutely no bearing on performance mate...you could lower the 170 to 9x multi and increase FSB to 222MHz and it would offer the same performance...if you were to use a 1:1 ratio having a lower multiplier and higher FSB speed would actually be better as you're getting more memory bandwidth

Should also be noted that dual cores will not overclock as well as single core processors, plain and simple...but that being said a 600MHz increase on a dual core processor is actually 600x2 so it balances out one could say

Ok, unless you say i should a single core and buy a high end one of those. I wanted to build my bro a decent gaming pc. He doesnt want to upgrade for a while so i figured I would get him a dual core and oc' it. I would also get a 7800gt and oc and unlock to gtx. I would get 1gb stick of ram and in a couple of months when he needs it get another and i will oc' that for him. Idk want to build him a decent gaming rig with alot of potentional.

gaara said:
CPU Multiplier has absolutely no bearing on performance mate...you could lower the 170 to 9x multi and increase FSB to 222MHz and it would offer the same performance...if you were to use a 1:1 ratio having a lower multiplier and higher FSB speed would actually be better as you're getting more memory bandwidth.

It just makes everything easier. I won't be able to get anywhere between 2.7-3ghz using 1:1 ratio without the 10x multiplier.

Plus when dealing with a multiplier of 10 it is easier to calculate things.

For example: 300htt x 10 = 3000mhz (3ghz) Se how easy it is. You would have to run a memory divider to achieve the same cpu frequency when using a 9x multiplier as a person running with 10x multiplier and DDR600 ram at 3ghz with a 1:1 ratio. They don't make ram fast enough to achieve upwards of 2.7ghz with a 9x multiplier and a 1:1 ratio. Most you could get is about 2.7, maybe more if you overclocked DDR600 but even then, that memory doesn't like to overclock much.

Trust me dude...I went through the same thought process as you which is why I ended up with a 3200+ rather than a 3000+...and looking back everyday spending the extra money just so "calculations are easier" was the absolute stupidest thing I ever did...I'd rather have the $50 extra

I'm telling you now you aren't going to hit 3GHz on a dualie..especially if you have yet to buy your core and are trying to do it on air...even water would be unlikely...you're not going to be hitting 300HTT 1:1 unless you lower your multiplier

Other peeps were getting 3ghz on them on air... I know I won't get one of those chips, I was just showing the calculations. I don't want to run a memory divider because then your bandwith is slower.

Why won't I be able to hit 300htt with a 10x multiplier (assuming I have a good chip)? I will be using DDR600 ram...

The opteron 170 wont OC as far anymore, the week 41, which i got, can only go up to 2.6 around there if your lucky, and less. Just warning you, you wont be able to get 3Ghz like everyone else lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom