Time to build a PC, I need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
PZEROFGH said:
DONT GO WITH PNY as they are very bad quality just like XFX
I dont know why you think that, but your most likely wrong.

PNY had a problem with there 6800 series quality issues for sure... but that does not apply to the 6600 series.... If we were talking about PNY's 6800 series i would also say to avoid them, but i dont believe that applys to the 6600.

and i have a XFX 6800 agp card here that i tested and works perfect. no issues with it what so ever, and it unlocked without any problems from 12/5 pipelines to 16/6.

rkf76 said:
Wow, your recommendations are nearly identical to what I have come up with. This is what I have so far:

ASUS K8N4-E DELUXE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard $87
AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU $193.99
XFX GeForce 6600LE PCIe Graphics card $80.00
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 SATA 160 GB HD $60.00
Wintec AMPO DDR400 184pin SDRAM 1GB $75.00
NEC ND3540A DVD/CD Burner combo burner drive $42.00

What do you think?

Mobo's mmmkay...
your cpu choice is mmmkay... though if you plan on multitasking more than gaming, ponying up for an intel might be better...
Xfx, I'd suggest changin mmmkay... maybe an evga...
Maxtor hdd? Dunno about them... seems bit cheap...
Ram doesn't really matter since I don't think you'll be overclocking?
Indifferent about internal cd/dvd roms.

The system you put together would only cost 537 bucks, plus the psu and case :eek: . If you go with it lemme know how it works.

jolancer said:
If your not in a different countery, im in usa...

i found the 64 3200 to be about $152.... newegg has it discounted to $137 in combo priced with the $100 6600GT.

Dont go with socket 754, unless its much cheaper and you dont plan on ever upgrading it.

dont go with any 6600 other than the 6600GT... the GT is just $100 at Newegg right now... that is if you dont go with the 6800GS for $210. see links bellow.... yes theres probably a big difference between the LE and GT 6600, and the 6800GS is probably 2x as fast as the 66GT.

i dont know about wintec, but the Corsair VS 1GB 2x512 is $71

Personaly i avoid Maxtor.... i go for Western Digital, Seagate or Samsung, any of those.

Some one else is going to have to recomend a Socket 939 motherboard to you, cause i just dont have experience with any.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130258

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133129

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?linkid=110&item=20-145-440
Thanks for pointing out that the 754 is the older setup, I didn't realize that. So I checked around and found a mobo that I can upgrade to a double core processor in the future should I decide to, socket 939, as well as the AMD 64 3200+ CPU w/fan to go with it. This setup gives more flexability for upgrades and works out to be a little bit cheaper as well, that's always nice. What do you think about this?:

ABIT KN8 nVidia socket 939 motherboard $94.99

AMD Athlon64 3200+ socket 939 CPU $169.99

As for the graphics card I chose, I have read lots of good reviews on that card, but also, I'm not in need of the cream of the crop. I just want something that is better than the integrated graphics and can allow me to watch DVD/Videos with no problems. I'm not into games and stuff, although I may dabble a little bit with a system that is capable, as I expect this one to be once I finish it.

Is my choice of Wintec memory not a good one? Keep in mind, im not looking for the best of the best.

Camden said:
Mobo's mmmkay...
your cpu choice is mmmkay... though if you plan on multitasking more than gaming, ponying up for an intel might be better...
Xfx, I'd suggest changin mmmkay... maybe an evga...
Maxtor hdd? Dunno about them... seems bit cheap...
Ram doesn't really matter since I don't think you'll be overclocking?
Indifferent about internal cd/dvd roms.

The system you put together would only cost 537 bucks, plus the psu and case :eek: . If you go with it lemme know how it works.
LOL, it's even cheaper now that I have changed mobo's and cpu;)

I decided to go with a socket 939 as it gives more room for upgrades in the future and has 4 PCIe slots as well as 4 SATA headers! See above post for links and pricing.

I mainly surf the net, listen to music, will be playing DVD's, might even do some gaming since I'll have a machine that should be capable of providing an enjoyable gaming session.

Nobody likes my choice in video card, hmm, not a good sign. My reason for choosing it is the price and my needs. I can't see myself spending over $100 for a video card when it's very likely that I'll never get the full potential out of it given the things I do on my computer. But i'm open to cost effective suggestions:D

you must be in canada then i take it? otherwise if you could order from newegg, the PNY 6600GT + A64 3200 for a combo price of 240 would be your best bet, since you say you dont need top of the line graphics. the 66GT is realy decent though. at that $100 price its the best, but if you cant get it from newegg, i guess you may be more suitable for you to go with a different card.

jolancer said:
you must be in canada then i take it? otherwise if you could order from newegg, the PNY 6600GT + A64 3200 for a combo price of 240 would be your best bet, since you say you dont need top of the line graphics. the 66GT is realy decent though. at that $100 price its the best, but if you cant get it from newegg, i guess you may be more suitable for you to go with a different card.
The 6600GT and the processor for $240? Wow, that's a deal. I'm in Oregon, im gonna check out that deal on newegg, thanks.

Any other suggestions?

yes, if your not in canada then only order from Tigerdirect if you dont find the hardware at other placess, such as Newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, monarchcomputer.com, clubit.com, svc.com, ewiz.com

Tigerdirect has worse customer service, and they use to screw people on rebate deals... If there a deal there that is no were else without rebates its probably fine, but so far i have been able to avoid Tigerdirect buy finding better deals elseware.

Thats why i thought u were in canada, Tiger direct usualy doesnt have the best deals, and there one of the few that ship to Canada.

jolancer said:
yes, if your not in canada then only order from Tigerdirect if you dont find the hardware at other placess, such as Newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com, monarchcomputer.com, clubit.com, svc.com, ewiz.com

Tigerdirect has worse customer service, and they use to screw people on rebate deals... If there a deal there that is no were else without rebates its probably fine, but so far i have been able to avoid Tigerdirect buy finding better deals elseware.

Thats why i thought u were in canada, Tiger direct usualy doesnt have the best deals, and there one of the few that ship to Canada.
I couldn't find that combo, care to provide a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom