dualcore vs dual processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenyora

Daemon Poster
i apologize for re posting this question but i was wondering which one is better dual core or dual CPU..i mean i was going to buy the amd 4400+ today but iv been told that opteron is better if iam over clocking and while i was looking at some of the boxx (3d workstations) i found that i can go dual opteron for the same price of the 4400+..i would assume going dual CPU is better becouse i will have 2 CPU each operating on 2 gig while with the 4400 i will have 2 core splitting the 2.2 gig(i hope this is the right way to put it),so can anyone shed some more light on this subject?what do you think should i go dual opteron(something like AMD Opteron 148 Venus or AMD Opteron 244....you probly know better which dual cpus to go with)or should i just stick with the 4400+?if i go with dual CPU which ones should i go with and do i need to change any parts of my build?
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79982
thnaks

the ones that OC are the s939 dual core opterons not the servers that use physical dual core

Just go with the Dual Core, Multiple CPU setups are really only for server or workstations, you will not need it and you won't gain any preformence.

will thats what i am using my new build for..3d modeling and animation and somegaming..
but why wont i gain any preformence?

My guess would be because the cores share a die and can transfer i/o much faster back and forth making it much faster.

I believe the if you went dual Opterons, you would need registered memory. and thats where the preformence is slowed, registered memory is considerably slower then non registered, and I think you would also need a socket 940 board, not a socket 939 one.

Like I said, multiple CPU system are geared more for servers and workstation which is why its not good for gaming and other PC use, I garuntee your amount of video work will not need it.

yes Ste. is right

the physical dual core are s940 and mainly used for workstations and servers as stated and also need ECC memory which is REALLY EXPENSIVE.

and it would basically suck for gaming ;)

AMD K8 multisocket configurations communicate between processors using multiple hypertransport links...I believe Opterons support four simulteanous HTT links operating at once but don't quote me on that

Although the HTT link offers a high bandwidth and low latency solution and will therefore be fast when operating in multisocket enviroments, a multicore CPU will actually communicate between the cores at the effective speed of the cores themselves...with much lower latency and as a result much greater bandwidth than a multisocket would

Basically multisocket processors each have their own seperate memory controller that has to be in communication with the other controllers, whereas multicores have one unified controller coordinating all of the cores and thus saving the time it takes to send data down a system bus

Should also note that the 4400+ does not "split" the 2.2GHz operating frequency, it splits the a 4.4Ghz clock speed and each core operates individually at 2.2GHz therefore a dual core processor operating at the same frequency as two procesors in a dual processor configuration should have about the same IPC rate

Dual Core, appears a dual CPU but limited to a single memory controller. This means your restricted to 4 gigs of ram total.

Dual CPU - requires an SMP maotherboard but each CPU has a 4 gig bank of memory that can be accessed.

Speed/Performance Diffs: Unknonwn but the Dual CPU setup will most likely require ECC memory for best effect. This is generally slower then due to the error checking feature but in a production enviroment offers increased stability and reliability....i got that
but iv been told that many of the dual cpu boards are actually going to out perform a dual core for one reason. Thermal throttling. A dual core will throttle down to prevent overheating much earlier/faster then a single core will. This means that if you're doing anything that consistenly pushes either core close to 100 percent load, the system will be noticable slower due to throttling effect.

Last but not least, a dual cpu rig should be easy to upgrade to dual core with a simple bios update in the future which make going with the dual cpu setup better because it forces me to design my software for the bulk of the current market, which is single cpu setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom