Windows XP 64bit really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
While buying the parts for my PC build i thought about buying a OS, however after looking into the 64 bit version of XP i was wondering if it is really worth it?
My PC specs will be the following:
Case: Thermaltake Shark(Black)

PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 modular sli compliant

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core 4200+(socket 939)

Motherboard: Abit AN8 SLi fatal1ty nforce4 SLI(socket 939)

Graphics card: BFG Geforce 7800 GTX OC 256mb GDDR3 Vivo TV-out/Dual DVI (PCI-express)

RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro twin X(2x 1GB) CAS2

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition

Hard Drive: Samsung spinpoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-ll 8mb Cache

CPU Fan: Coolermaster hyper G+ RR-UNH-P0U1 cooler(socket 754/939/478/LGA775)

Im finding the 32bit version very good at the moment and unless there are some good reasons i dont thing ill use the 64 bit version.

What are the advantadges/disadvantages of the 64bit version?

at this time it is not worth it. there are so many drivers out there that are not supported by it, theres all kinds of things..stay with 32 bit

Yes it is worth it but you must be carefull. Before you buy all your parts make sure each hardware has 64 bit drivers and vista drivers. If all your hardware has support for 64 bit then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it. People assume it will work fine and do not check if their hardware is 64 bit compatible which leads to troubles.

If you have to chance your hardware doesn't support it you will have to find hardware that does and change your build. You may decide 32 bit is your calling as well.

While were on a similar subject i read that i need a "system boot disk?" when starting my pc for the first time, how do i get/make one of these?

Also what is the difference between OEM and Normal Versions of Windows XP?

If you are the type of person that does not mind mucking around with new computer OS, then go for it.

If you are the type of persion that just wants your computer working as it's suppose to be working at the end of the day, then I suggest that you wait for Windows Vista.

There is a lot of Software Vendors out there that is not supporting Windows Xp 64 Bit. Eg. Norton Anti Virus.

There is a lot of Windows Xp 64 Bit hardware drivers that are still in BETA Release too.

Over all, Windows Xp 64 Bit is almost like Windows Me in how it was an inbetween OS.

98 --> Me --> Xp
Xp --> 64 --> Vista.

there is also an option to Create Windows XP Setup diskettes on that link.
However the download will not start, and will be to big to fit onto a floppy disk anyway.
Is the MS-DOS thing all i need then?

If you want a boot disc to boot into windows at the prompt with network and cdrom access, then the DOS boot disc is good. It appears to me that you may be a little confused as to the reason for the boot disc in the first place>?

RicoDirenzo said:
If you want a boot disc to boot into windows at the prompt with network and cdrom access, then the DOS boot disc is good. It appears to me that you may be a little confused as to the reason for the boot disc in the first place>?

LOL, completely right, I just read somewhere that when i boot up for the first time i will need a 'system boot disk'. I just wanted to know what it is and where i can get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom