Buy or Build??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

midrangeG

Baseband Member
Hi all, need your opinions on this system. Its from http://www.cyberpowersystem.com I was going to do my first build but then see that I can buy this, assembled and tested for less. My thoughts were this seems to be a good deal, and the possibility of getting some parts dead on arrival are gone, also the hassle and cost of shipping and waiting for good parts. I was trying to keep the cost down around 1k but really wanted a dual core processor witch brought my price up to 1263 ( I can live with that). They also have 5% discount witch brings it down to $1199.85 . I don't have a problem with building a pc if the price is right, but quickly piecing together these parts doesn't look like I would save anything. what do you think?

*BASE_PRICE: [+680]
CAS: HOT NEW! Xplorer Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display (Black Case w/Black Face)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+114]
CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: (SATA150) Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive [+55]
KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLACK COLOR [+3])
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+135] (Corsair Value Select)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional X64 Edition (Requires AMD Athlon 64 CPU) [+135]
POWERSUPPLY: **Cyberpower Recommended** NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply [+39]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6200 Graphics with TurboCache supporting 256MB 16X PCI Express VIDEO CARD
WIRELESSCARD: LINKSYS WMP54GS 802.11G PCI Network Card [+61]
_PRICE: (+1263) -5% =$1199.85

or a second choice from http://www.cyberpowersystem.com

*BASE_PRICE: [+988]
CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Black Color)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800 CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+190]
CD: 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
CD2: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FREEGAME: Free "Half-Life 2 Bronze" Download Coupon
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [+9]
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: 160GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache -- Recommended)
KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR)
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (BLACK COLOR)
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio [+91]
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY [+135] (Corsair Value Select)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional X64 Edition (Requires AMD Athlon 64 CPU) [+46]
POWERSUPPLY: **Cyberpower Recommended** NZXT PF-500 500Watt Power Supply [+39]
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0 [+9]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS [-44]
USB: Build-in USB 2.0
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+39]
WIRELESSCARD: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
_PRICE: (+1306) -5%= $1240.70

getting more confused the more I look at getting a new pc

thanks for your help

Never buy unless it's a laptop. When you buy the price will kill you because you have to pay for an OS, bundled software and other junk you will never use.

If you are going to go with a custom build from a company, cyberpowerpc is the most to trust. You can probably build a better comp for the price. They charge very cheap and they are the cheapest reviewing. PCWorld and PcMagazine like them, so do I. If you have experience with computer build your own. But make sure you know what your doing :)

Tyler1989 said:
Never buy unless it's a laptop. When you buy the price will kill you because you have to pay for an OS, bundled software and other junk you will never use.

cyberpowerpc does'nt include th OS!

Tyler1989, said

"Never buy unless it's a laptop. When you buy the price will kill you because you have to pay for an OS, bundled software and other junk you will never use."

Have you looked at their site or my build list as I wanted windows xp pro x64 and I don't see what bundled software and other junk I'm getting. Plus there is some peice of mind for me with them building it with a warranty. I'll keep an open mind if you can peice me a similar system for less I'll consider it.

this is from another thread on this site and it looks like having it built won't cost much more

- 3 -
Price Range: $1200
All Components from www.newegg.com

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
CPU Cooler: Stock Heatsink & Fan
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Memory: Corsair Value Select 1GIG (2x512MB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 120GIG
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7800GT 256MB PCI Express x16
Audio: Onboard RealTek ALC850 8 Channel
LAN: Onboard Marvel Dual 10/100/1000Mbps
Optical Drive: LG Black DVD/CD-ROM
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/Window
PSU: Antec SmartPower 2.0 400w ATX12v

Build it yourself

High end laptops are cheaper if you build you self (barebones only) it only takes about 15 minutes.

If you want to save, lets say 100 dollars build yourself, if you want all the hassles taken care of for 100 dollars buy it from them.

what are u talking bout, u dont have to pay for OS and bundled stuff if u dont want to, just ask your friends for a windows xp disc, majority of ppl today have burned versions of windows xp, and stuff like norton or office xp u can get off torrents easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom