Way too hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a heatsink is bought, the contact surface is very uneven. All you do is use some sandpaper to smoothen out the bottom of the heat sink. It will reduce the temperature a lot. The CPU gets hot with out because air gets trapped in the uneven areas and it heats up cause the CPU to heat up..... Look at this site.

http://www.bigbruin.com/html/lapping-guide.htm

It is not that good a site, but just type in lapping a heatsink in google and will give good results.;

Well you start for almost 400 grit, to get the main rough bits out, you rotate the heatsink atleast 2 times while grinding it. Do not put force on it, just use the weight of the heatsink. Then slowly work your way up to 1600 or 1800 grit paper. You can get a good pack of sandpaper at any good supermarket. Look don't go completely by my advice, just go online and find a guide, because I am just giving you a shortened version of the thing.

Also i will recommend a beer or a cola, which ever you like, it can be really useful. (to drink of course)

Lol, sorry, I didnÂ’t realise you were talking about sandpaper. I actually skim 0.5 millimetres off of the bottom of the heatsink with a milling machine. This guarantees the base of the heatsink is totally flat.

Lapping isn't going to fix your problem. lapping only reduces a few measly degrees. 70C means you have a heatsink mounted incorrectly, not enough thermal paste on die, or your cpu fan is not working. check those before you waste time with lapping. keep the side of the case open while testing these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom