Need help with hard drive ?x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice Daddy

Fully Optimized
I have an old QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30 (29 GB, 4500 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)

and lately it has been makeing some weird noize, usually when I maximize/minimize windows, or open the start menu...

for lack of better description, CLICK CLICK BWEEEeeeee

I ran a disk check and phaze 4 took forever... (what happens durring phaze 4?)

when ever it makes the noize, it slows down for a few seconds... but I can still access the files on in...

is there any way I could fix this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, I have gone through four 80pin ribbon cables(ATA) and every time I start my computer, it says no 80pin conductor cable connected, and often will freeze at this point...

so to solve this problem, I replaced it with a 40pin cable, but now every time I start the computer "it says no 80pin conductor cable connected" but now it doesn't freeze, but it takes (irony) about twice the time to copy information...

so the problem here is that, I would rather use an 80pin, but for some reason it won't work...
is getting enough power? 450w

my comp has 2 hd's, 1 dvd, 1 cd, 6600gt, mx4000, and tv tunner, (amd xp 2400+OC 512Mb ram) is this to much for 450w?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so...

-what happens durring phaze 4 of a check disk?

-is there any way I could fix that noize?

-whats up with the 80/40pin cable?

-do I have enough power(450w)?

thanx for takeing the time to read all of this, hope someone can help solve at least one of these problems...

Juice Daddy said:

-is there any way I could fix that noize?

-do I have enough power(450w)?

First off, if it's making a "Click" noise, it sounds like there might be some physical damage to the disk. On the other hand, since it is an older HD, it would be much louder than most newer drives, so the click might just be because the drive is under to big a strain. I'd try running an error check on the hard drive just to make sure the drive isn't hitting a bad sector and locking up or something like that.

As for your power issue, I'd try giving this site a try.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I Hope I was helpful.

I used to have a QUANTUM FIREBALL Hard Drive.
My advise is to back up your data and replace hard drive ASAP!
Because it was doing the same thing before in packed it in.

Spork 2.0 - I checked out ok on that site only about 320w out of 450 should be ok

Harper - darn, I recently traded an old 10gig for it, and that drive worked fine...

I'm still wondering what happens durring what happens durring phaze 4 of a check disk, and whats up with the 40/80pin cable

thanx people

hey, guess what, I recently droped that quantum fireball, lol

about 3.5ft on to a cement floor (accidently) and now it works fine:confused:
no more clicking...

that sounds like my friends method of fixing things. i hate it because somehow it always works even though i tell him hes gonna break something. like the disc drawer on my stereo was broken and it would start to eject then close. so he just forced it open and its worked ever since. or the time he kicked his computer and suddenly it came back to life. anyway in my opinion fireball's are pieces of crap so replace it with something else asap, a good idea especially if harper turns out to be right. btw i'm curious as to how you accidentally dropped it?

"i threw my hdd against a tree and now, for some reason, it doesn't work! HELPPP!" LOL :D

I was just given an old comp that has a Quantum in it. It fired up twice, but now it comes up with Disk Failure.

Sounds like it has bit the big one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom