Computer running unusually slow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownstone_mr

Beta member
My computer was running really slow so I decided to re-format it so that I could get all the junk off and have it running smooth again just like when I purchased it. So I formatted it, re-installed Windows 2000 Pro which I had to do before installing Windows XP Pro. I then continued installing Windows XP Pro. No errors occured that I know of.

Unfortunatly My computer Is still running slow and I figured that maybe my ram (512 at the time) had lost some of it's performance. How I don't know. I decided to get another 512 ram to boost my performance (which it did slightly) and enable me to play some of the future games like Far Cry and Half Life 2.

The problem I am having though is that I can't run that many applications without the computer straining. Everytime I install the Soundblaster Live drivers the music I am playing through Winamp/MediaPlayer pops, skips, and actually slows down.....WEIRD. Even without the drivers installed I still get weird problems.

In Battlefield/Desert Combat with video settings on Medium I still skip a lot when to much is going on on screen. It's almost like experience lag on older games...even though I have 30ping at the time.

Another error is that for instance when playing an mp3 and then go to open a simple program like Internet Explorer, the song will actually skip and shudder untill the application has finished opening.

Basically my Games arn't running like they should do (video quality wise) and my audio kepps skipping when working with other applications.

I know my system specs are more than qualified to perform these functions without any hiccups..

Please HELP! Thanks a lot.......much appreciated.

I have:

Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
Radeon 9600 Pro
Creative Soundblaster Live
Windows XP Pro
1GB RAMBUS PC-800:RIMM Ram
AOPEN AX4T Socket 423 Motherboard.

see if your inner case , cpu , chipset temperatures are getting
higher than normal . Do you have any way to test your PS to make sure its still putting out the correct voltages ?
If you have the option in BIOS set your memory speed up to turbo.

Thanks for replying. The only 'Turbo' settings I found in CMOS settings setup was for "Load Turbo Defaults' which I switched to Yes. It doesn't to have appeared to help.

I dont know of away to test my powersource voltage or how to test temperatures unfortunatly.

Did you load your motherboard driver's.Your processor driver should always be loaded first.
Did you load up current Video and sound card and run through window's update.Sp1 and directx9b

go to Comp USA or Best Buy etc.. They have a Power supply testing tool that will help you .I think it cost $10.00

Did you check that all your drivers are up to date? Does the properties in My Computer show the right amount of RAM, that you have installed?
Also have you gotten rid of all your spy ware???
And finally how much of your hard drive is full? How much space is left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom