upgrading 1800+ to 2600+ w/ problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbuddy111

Solid State Member
I recently exchanged processors and have ran into problems, the new 2600+ is still running at 1.2 ghz (the speed of the 1800+) I'm not sure if I am supposed to clear the CMOS battery or what, please help. I have an Gigabyte GA-7VT600-RZ(C), thank you.

well that didnt work, my overclocking utility is completly bare and only goes to 11.5 x 135, but how do i do a bios flash?

you have to use a floppy disk and its really confusing lol, but if you HAD an MSI mobo you could just flash it through windows :)

you have everything at default by clearing the CMOS right? update all the drivesr and what not?

Go to Gigabyte's site, look up your board, and download the newest bios they have. Then follow the instructions to make a bootable floppy and boot with it, this will flash your bios and will probably fix your problem. My board has the same problem, it won't support a processor higher than the 1800+ without the newest bios.
Be sure to follow instructions carefully, though they're usually not hard.
Wouldn't hurt to update your mobo's drivers while you're at it.

You need to set your jumpers to the correct settings because the XP 1800 and the XP 2600 have different FSB frequencies. once you set your FSB to the correct frequency by changing the jumpers, you'll be good to go!

YAY! my 1000th post!

ok well thanks for the help with the jumper, its now seeing it as a 2600+, but now i have a new problem, the idle temp is about 46-47c, before it was at its full potental, it would idle at about 42-44. I went back in and put more compound on it, but that didnt change anything, is 47 a safe idle temp???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom