SLI and Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
There are many PSU's that are supposedly "SLI certified" by nVidia. Does that mean that I cannot safely run SLI if I don't have a PSU that is SLI certified?

Here's my deal.. I have a 7800GTX and an MSI K8N Neo4 mobo, both of which I haven't installed yet. I keep hearing that even though I don't need to run SLI because this video card is amazing as it is, I should still "future proof" my setup by installing an SLI mobo. I have an Ultra X-Connect PSU and am wondering that if I decide to go with an SLI mobo for future upgrading, do I need to buy a new PSU that supports SLI or is it more of just a marketing thing? I was looking at Ultra's X-Finity PSU if I had to get a new one to support SLI.

**Sorry in advance to anyone that is going to tell me that this is a redundant post and I need to run a search and that there have been 100 posts with this same topic in the past. I ran a search of recent posts and from just browsing over the titles from the last week or so I didn't see anything relating to this.

Even if they said that X-connect was Sli Certified It wouldn't mean anything cause X-connects are ***** and wouldn't be able to handle it.

and Sli certified is just something they put on it so it looks better, in reality most PSU's can handle Sli it just depends on the specific specifications of it.

I would invest into a new power supply when you go SLi, SLi is a power eater.

Forton
antec
enermax

:)

or others depending on what you want to spend.

That's got to be the 10th time I've heard that my Xconnect is a crappy PSU. The guy at the computer store doesn't know what he's talking about. He sold me on it because it "is one of the best power supplies you can buy" as he put it. So, stay away from Ultra PSU's... got it.

I guess another big question is this... I'm running an AGP card right now but when I install my new mobo and video card I'll be using PCI-e. For PCI-e do I need a particular PSU or will my Xconnect do the job?

i would go for the ocz mod stream that there pretty much powers all the high end sli systems even with a overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom