Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2 Mobo
Asus Radeon 9200
512 meg 333mhz

with
PSU fan blowing out
CPU fan sucking
Case fan blowing out
Case fan located below PSU

I'm not actually overclocking - I'm just trying to get my system to run at the speed its meant to without overheating. When I have my motherboard set to running at 400FSB which is mandatory to use the system to its full capability it tends to work for a while then let out a beep code of:

long beep, short beep, long beep, short beep, long beep.

The monitor cuts out, then the system cuts out.

When the system is set at lower fsb this does not occur.

I find that by taking the cases side off, it lasts for longer without it happening. And I found that adding the secondary fan (Which wasent there until a short while back) also makes it stay on for longer. The case remains though that it still happens.

With fsb set to low and case off...
CPU temp is 58C
System temp is 32C

With fsb set up to auto (the desired setting) and case off...
CPU temp is 80C - 86C
System temp is 35C

I believe the danger point with my processor is 85C. Which aint good.

What could be causing the temperatures to get so high when theres already an extra fan attached and i'm only trying to run the system at standard speed?

is the CPU fan actually blowing on the cpu? or is it just sucking air off the cpu?

Possibly a bad temp probe in the CPU or something wrong with the BIOS which is making it detect higher temps than what is really there? Or no thermal paste between CPU/Heatsink.

I just used the thermal pad on the bottom of the heat sink that came with the processor - that is the only thermal grease there.

And would there be any way to test the sensors? And I've flashed the BIOS since it started happening so I doubt it would be that.

Uhhh... that'll turn my processor into a puddle of smoking silicon though surely?

I just don't think it is really overheating.... Try touching the heatsink and NOTHING ELSE with it on at its hottest.... See if the heatsink is very warm/hot.... Shouldnt be to warm....

While running at low speed, and the CPU temp showing up as 65 the heat sink is fairly cool. I.e. you could keep your finger on it all day.

At high speed, and the CPU temp showing up as 80 the heat sink is hot, and you can just about keep your finger on it for 10 seconds before it gets bloody uncomfy.

What do you reckon? How hot should it be getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom