Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thayde1

Baseband Member
Hey there,
I've installed all parts correctly when building my new computer. The problem is when I turn it on, everything starts up which is good and I see my motherboard screen on the monitor but after a few seconds, the whole comp shuts off. I'm waiting on a new PSU to come in to see if that's the problem but the PSU I have in there now was previously used in my old comp and worked fine just a few hours before I built my new comp. If the PSU isn't the problem, what else could it be? Here are my specs:

Abit An8 Ultra Mobo with Nvdia Nforce ultra chipset
AMD 64 Sock 939 3700 with San Diego
Sapphire ATI Radeon x850xt 256 mb Video Card
3 x 512mb 2700 value select RAM
Seagate 80gb hard drive

Could it be the ATI video card and the nvidia chipset having conflicts? I've been told it should work fine, but I'm wondering now.

Oh by the way, the power supply is 500 W but its some cheap brand. I bought a more expensive one (550 W Aspire). I'm thinking that maybe this cheap brand 500 W is too cheap to keep everything stable. I bought mobo, processor, and video card from newegg.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but isnt that RAM wrong for the CPU? Shouldnt he be using pc 4200?

Ati card and the NVIDIA chipset are completely different things, the chipset controls the bridges I believe so no, you dont have to worry about the video card if you arnt getting a monitor failed signal.

If it is the ram then you'll need new ones I think, or you could set up memory dividers somehow I guess but that really sucks. Itd be better to get new ram if thats the case.

Sounds like an overheating issue. Had this problem one time when switching my old CPU to a new MB. The MB was set to shut down at a certain temp, and the temp was hitting around 15 seconds after I turned the computer on.. Check and make sure your heat sink and heat transfer solvent are sufficient...

I used arctic silver 5 thermal compound but the heatsink that came with the processor already had thermal compound on it when i got it (which i didnt know till i got all my stuff in).

and the ddr standard for this mobo is pc 3200 not 4200. a friend of mine has a mobo with ddr standard at pc 3200 but i was told using 2700 would be fine. is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom