I almost had a heart attack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Threepwood

Daemon Poster
Whew I just finished doing my first "mod" ever, a minor one yes but still Im so glad it worked right. I took off the heatstink on my 9800, put some ocz thermal compound on the core after cleaning it and the fan, then put it back together. I was so worried that i scratched one of the tiny wires on the board while using brute force to get the heatsink back on. Then when i booted up It made a lot of beeping noises so I was like ohhhhh nuts, I need a new card. Turns out i had one of the 2 wire fan connectors in its power instead of a standard molex one. Put that it and BAM it works.

My question is, is there a way to make sure that absolutely nothing got damaged? I ran ati tool test for about 5 mins with no errors, even tried overclocking it and could push it a bit higher then before now. But i really want to make sure its all still good, if i scratched a tiny wire would I know thats its broken right off the bat, or could it come to haunt me later?

Now im done step 1 before I can really overclock. Next step is to clean my case wires somehow (Ill post a pic later, its a huge mess of wires blocking airflow).

I ran 3d mark 03 2 times over no errors, then immediately after ran ATI tool to scan for errors, and no errors. O ya i meant to say that mine indeed is a r350 core :( so I wont be able to OC it as much as an r360, O well I can maybe get it to 400 after I clear my case out, right now It maxes at about 387. Maybe more after the 200 hour set in time I hope.

doubt its worth it. Id probably be better off selling this 9800 and buying an 6600 gtx rather then buying a fan for 40$ (canadian).

660GTX?? that means you will have to buy a new mobo if your talking about the *7700*GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom