How is this LCD monitor for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a sleek lcd that will also enable you to play games without any of those "ghosting" problems, then this lcd is the one for you. Unless you want to sell it cause, lcd's in that category of specs will run someone from 279.99 to 449.99, according to newegg's prices which are usually cheap.....

so this isnt that bad, i mean vs. a samsung lcd that has better response times....

i should be alright with gaming? correct? and thanks for your quick reply.

Yea i got up early and got a Samsung 19" monitor at Staples for $199, it has a 600:1 contrast ratio and 12ms response time, which is a bit better than your Sony. I still think the Sony is great for gaming though.

003 said:
Here is the only LCD you can get and be reassured that there will be no ghosting what so ever:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375
It has a 2ms black to white response time and a 2ms gray to gray response time.

thanks man appreciate the info, but lets say between the two monitors that i listed at which i could get one for free which one would you get.

the samsung has 8ms and dvi
sony is 19... analog.

It's not terrible. I think 250 was a good deal. I would look for another lcd if you have the money, otherwise keep it

Heres another fast one,
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8913

The Truth About Response Time
In our continuing effort to provide up-to-the-minute information to consumers, our editors wish to shed light on the multitude of numbers (or specifications) that accompany advertisements, brochures, user manuals, etc. regarding LCD monitors. Amid the cacophony of digits large and small appears one expression that is particularly important, but often overlooked. This mysterious number represents image response time and is articulated in terms milliseconds (ms), such as 12ms, 16ms, 24ms and so on. Response time is the screenÂ’s signal reaction speed, or the time it takes for a liquid crystal panel to go from total white to total black and then back again. A 16ms LCD monitor corresponds to 63 images per second, while 12ms is equivalent to 83 images a second.

What Does this All Mean?
Bottom line -quicker response times translate to smoother and more fluid images. So, the next time you notice an advertisement shouting to the world that a specific LCD monitor boasts a lightning quick 24ms response time - which is actually a fairly nice standard - remember that a product that sports a 12ms response provides a major upgrade in image smoothness and fluidity.

In Case YouÂ’re Curious - What About the Science?
Broadly speaking, the response times of LCDs are slower than those of CRTs. In the past, the response time of most LCDs was between 20ms and 50ms, and the adverse effects of this relatively long interval could be noticed during playback of DVDs or when playing games that required especially quick scene changes. You would, for example, find that fast-moving objects would cause ghosting, particularly when black objects passed through a bright-colored background. The human eye will perceive a series of sequential images displayed at a frequency of 30Hz (30 images, or frames, per second) as continuous, as is the case with movies (24 frames per second). Screen images displayed at 60Hz will offer even more comfortable viewing, but careful scrutiny will reveal a slight sense of "flickering", as is the case with the NTSC television standard (which displays at 60 frames per second). According to standards set by VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association), the frequency necessary to achieve flicker-free display with a CRT is 72Hz. Most VGA cards and software applications, in order to accommodate the use of CRT monitors, have working frequencies set at 75Hz. In the past, the LCD monitors with 16ms response time that predominated in the market supported frequencies only up to 63Hz (1/0.016), making their display performance inferior to that of CRT monitors. Avid gamers therefore continued to use CRT monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom