Best video compression software that is free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat75

In Runtime
I need to compress a 1.25 gb avi down to size so it fits on a CD... what is the best free software that will do this, that keeps the same size of the origional? (1024 x 768) Thanks.

mplayer/mencoder......most precompiled windows versions have libdvdcss,XviD, and MPEG4 included, way faster than anything else

EricB said:
auto gk
or windows media encoder. winrar can't shrink video

well if you put the file inside a .rar file it will compress the file in size, not as much as he wants though.

i would go with divx, since you can even get divx dvd players that will read them.

ZeroX said:
well if you put the file inside a .rar file it will compress the file in size, not as much as he wants though.

i would go with divx, since you can even get divx dvd players that will read them.

cay you guys show show evidence? back in the day everybody was trying new compression techniques for video. rar and zip weren't among them as you would have a file the exact same size.

That is why I said

Use divX if you want to play the disc

Use divX then put it in winRAR if you want to store the disc.

Eric it does compress but not by much I was able to push a 2.57 meg file into a 2.54 meg file with winrar. Regardless your correct the difference is not worth mentioning just use divX.

zipping or rar'ing a video file wont do squat..........text files compress well, video does not

Tyler1989 said:
That is why I said

Use divX if you want to play the disc

Use divX then put it in winRAR if you want to store the disc.

absolutley no need for the extra step of rar'ing a file to store it on a disc, just put it on there as is

Why didn't you quote the rest of my message....

Eric it does compress but not by much I was able to push a 2.57 meg file into a 2.54 meg file with winrar. Regardless your correct the difference is not worth mentioning just use divX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom