NTL Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amd2800

Daemon Poster
Hey

My Cousin has got 2 PC and 2 NTL modems and 1 Splitter ..1 of the PCs i using LAN on 1 of the modems which can use the internet one of the other Pc's using the 2nd modem (USB) wont access the internet Both Plugged into the Splitter

so what could i do ???

Dont involve money either ??

Q] Can I use a splitter on CAT 5 patch cable to connect two computers to one data source?

[A] No. The problem with this has to do with the fact that a computer has to communicate with the network using a unique address. When using a DSL or Cable router for example, these addresses are given out by the router to each PC, giving it a unique identity on the network. If you attempted to join two different computers on the single connection on a DSL or Cable modem, using just an RJ45 splitter, it would not work due to the fact that both computers would be trying to commmunicate at the same time to the same place.

Is this how it is hooked up?

you need money for a router or a crossover cable with a network card (cheaper route). you can't assign two working ip's to that router and that's what you are try to do. you can use either the usb or the ethernet. now you use the usb and use a crossover cable to wire the internet to 2 pc's but that's a pain to configure

Amd2800 said:
i aint got a router just 2 modems and 1 splitter

it won't work for reasons stated above. you are trying to create 2 ip's for something that is not capable of doing it. you need at least 2 ethernet ports to do what you want even if you was using a phone line service

anyway got it working

I just RENEWED the mac address on the modem and now both machines are working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom