Win XP Pro x64 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe just having a 64 bit OS is reason enough... and Software generally doesn't need drivers it's the hardware that needs the drivers to be 64bit. You can start to see them being developed but it's still a problem. You should have no problems with 64 or 32 bit software.

Windows 95 make the bridge to 32 bit but it also supported the older 16 bit. Windows Vista is making the bridge to 64 bit and is also supporting the older 32 bit. I wonder if it still supports the now ancient 16 bit?

yeah it took me about 4 hrs and I ended up going back to regular 32 bit xp. x64 was nice, and I definitely noticed it was a lot faster but couldn't get all the drivers I needed. I noticed a speed difference in pretty much everything from booting up to just opening something. Tried "Windows Update" and there's not much there for x64. Not sure what the difference is, but I tried using 64 bit IE and it just reverts you back to 32 bit. Ah well, I can wait...

Is there a difference between drivers and software? Arn't drivers considered software? I always thought if you couldn't touch it, feel it, or throw it at somebody it was software. oh well. Here is a list of the progs that will, sorta, and don't work on x64

http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64softlist.htm

Also, 16 bit code absolutely will not run on x64 as stated in microsoft's article here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282423

supposedly some installers will still work with 16bit instruction but I have read that not all will. hence the problem is just in installing some programs and not in actually running them. Gets kinda complicated for my whittle bwain : ) I am still on the fence as what to install. I would like to be able to run x64 and be slightly ahead of the times but just am not sure it would really be worth it. Course I guess I could try it and go back to 32bit if it's a real pain before I move any real files over. Too bad you can't upgrade with it. You have to do a fresh install. Course I have always prefered that to an upgrade anyway. Hope T day was good everybody! Peace!

Doesn't matter 16 bit is dead. And that list you showed me is great news. For something that is not yet mainstream has great support.

The list of limatations was also suprising to me. It's so small ;) not many of us will even care about these being gone exect the kernal for scanners and they will resurface when 64 bit programs are developed with is not far away at all.

P.S. I was origionally going to wait for Longhorn/Vista to come out before I built a new machine, but frame rate drop in Half life 2 canal scene? I don't think so!

Oh one more thing... I have a copy of norton corporate edition 10 that seems to work fine. I would like to trade for norton systemworks 2006 if anyone's interested. thanks

JoeF said:
are you saying I should do a low level format on regular xp pro (32bit) before I install x64? I will be setting it up with 32bit first for a while and will hold on to the copy of x64 that I have (brand new OEM) till I think it's safe to jump in the water

No, when you revert back you should. and you will, its just a matter of time before you do.

JoeF said:
Oh one more thing... I have a copy of norton corporate edition 10 that seems to work fine. I would like to trade for norton systemworks 2006 if anyone's interested. thanks

Im' interested....How you wanna do it?

X64 problems

I have been using X64 for the past two months. Programs that do work are very fast. But there are lot of programs that wouldn't even load. IE Java doesn't work. I now have two versions of Internet Explorer, 32bit and 64bit. Windows Update only works in 32Bit IE, but it hasn't worked for me in the last few days anyway. Nero reloaded InCD won't work on 64bit machines. The spellchecker doesn't work. My CD or DVD burner keeps saying no media, this only started yesterday. Sometimes the machine boots up in 20 seconds, sometimes two minutes. My printer won't work. My scanner won't work. My digital cameras only started being recognised last week.

I bought my copy of X64 for my Atlon 3700 on a A7n Sli deluxe motherboard and two Quadro 340 graphics cards. But I should have waited another six months until it works properly. At the moment I have two machines, side-by-side, as I can't get rid of my old one yet because I need it for some programs.

And yes, the hardware manufacturers aren't interested in creating drivers, so you have to choose from a limited selection of generic drivers that may give you limited functionality.

So, if you want your heart broken, go ahead and buy X64!

Paulclane they are Vista is only around the corner. You go to any well known and "respected" hardware site and you will find 64 bit drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom