Windows Updater Causing Problems (WinXp SP2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dx

Solid State Member
Just got a new computer, a pretty beefy gaming machine.

AMD 64 3700+
2 gigs Corsair XMS Ram
GeForce 6800GT (not sure what make)
160 gig Maxtor 7200rpm HD
EVGA Nforce 4 Motherboard

I bought it premade with Window XP Service Pack 2 already installed.

First thing i did was install anti-virus software - Syamntec Antivirus Corporate Edition ver 8.1

Then i ran the windows update, first it installed the windows updater program, then i installed all the critical updates. Then i installed a few of the optional ones like Windows Media Player 10 update, .NET Framework, ect.

It booted fine for a while, but then it just would freeze at the Windows Loading screen, the loading bar that usually keeps moving would just stop.
So i called tech support and they had me run the Windows Repair CD, which fixed the problem. It booted fine and i noticed it had uninstalled all windows upates.

I didnt install any updates for a 4-5 days after just to see if it kept booting fine, and it did. So this time i installed only the critical updates, and now my computer is acting funny again. This happened last time, first Symantec anti-virus would act wierd, then all other programs were getting strange errors. Eventually it stopped booting like i said earlier.

Right now it's still booting, but i'm certain it will stop booting in a few days or less. Right now Symantec for some reason will not enable the Real Time Protection, whenever i enable it it immediately turns it off...this didnt happen before i installed any windows updates. Now it seems my Windows Media Player is not working, it will not play any video files and gets an error saying "Invalid Access to Memory Location", watever that means.

What is going on? is this a common problem with Service Pack 2? Why are windows updates messing up Windows XP?

Update: i was browsing the add/remove programs list and saw the .net framework 2.0, i must of had automatic updates on. So i uninstalled it. Everything seems fine now, programs are working again. Could have this been the cause?

first thing is first. Never ever used a preinstalled OS. There is so much garbage on them. Did it come with an AV and if it did, did you uninstall it? Did they give you an xp cd by chance?

What's an AV?

I do have the windows restore CD which i think would allow me to do a clean install.

EricB said:
antivirus.

Ah ofcourse. No, it did not have any AV pre-installed on it. The first program I did install was Symantec.

It sounds like a RAM issue, things you can do

When you computer starts becoming slow check the ctr+alt+del keys and see task manager, performance, tell us what it tells you,

Also check you event logs in event view

control panel>administrative panel, event view.

Look in your System log and your application log, tell us the warning and error messages if any? Only the ones that happen around the time your pc goes slow

Hawk said:
It sounds like a RAM issue, things you can do

When you computer starts becoming slow check the ctr+alt+del keys and see task manager, performance, tell us what it tells you,

Also check you event logs in event view

control panel>administrative panel, event view.

Look in your System log and your application log, tell us the warning and error messages if any? Only the ones that happen around the time your pc goes slow

It hasnt gone "slow" since i uninstalled the .NET Framework 2.0, i can't be 100% sure just yet... but i believe for watever reason installing it on this computer causes it to not boot. Is there some incompatability issue with .net and SP2? i've tried searching for this but cant seem to find anyone with the exact same problem.

Plus why would it be the RAM if it only starts screwing up after i install a the .net framework.

But i will try what you said if my computer starts acting funny again.

I would leave .net 2 off for now, 1.1 will work for you. I would wipe it out and put your own build of XP on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom