RAM, how much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahdii

Solid State Member
I am building a dual core AMD 3800+ machine, and it will have 2 gigs of corsair ram, PC3200.

I've read that sometimes too much ram can slow performance, is this true?

I just upgraded from one GB to two GB, and the difference was like night and day in FEAR, when I only had 1GB FEAR would stutter like crazy and was very choppy, and I could only run it at 800x600 on medium detail, and when I upgraded to 2gb, I can run it at 1024x768 on high detail, butter smooth.

great love you guys :) Thanks.

corsair is satisfactory? or will OCZ or something else high performance make that big of a difference?

higher 'quality' brandname ram n all really only matters if you plan on overclocking.... as far as I know, for basic use, it really doesn't matter. That's the difference between a $25 stick and a $325 stick.

Corsair is really overrated. OCZ and G.Skill make much better RAM. the more successful overclockers use one of them.

and look for Samsung TCCD's. they can get really high speeds. Winbond BH5's are good, but need more voltage to get higher speeds like Samsung TCCD's

Always just depends on if you overclock, 2 gigs is 2 gigs I have a really crap ram brand but it works great but if i want to overclock then my pc would blow up. More money on ram means better overclocking and sometimes reliabilty.

right now with widnow xp, over 3 GB is too much becuase windows xp does read more then 3 gb. But some motherboards do have up to 4 GB, but some people does not know that OS will not read more then 3 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom