Severe FPS problems in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunar99

Solid State Member
I'm having some really bad fps problems in Half-Life 2 games, especially Counter-Strike Source and Day of Defeat:Source. I think something must be out of order, my computer (I think) is too good to be slowing down this much.

First off, my specs are:

3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4
1GB RAM
256 MB Radeon X800 PRO
Microsoft XP Home, (SP 2)

Even with all the options I can find turned down (model detail, texture detail, resolution bumped down to 800x600 etc) I get sometimes under 10 fps when firing/being fired at. I'm wondering what the problem is, I can't think what could be slowing me down this much. Let me know if you need to know more, and thanks in advance for the help.

Try updating your drivers, or if you have recently updated them try getting the driver version you had before.

I just did upgrade to the newest Catalyst drivers, I'll see if I can track down the old version. When I started HL2 it told me to update them though, so apparently they want you to have the version I have.

o_O

I'm pretty sure plenty of people with ATI video cards can play this game fine. I don't think me buying an ATI card is making the game run poorly. There's got to be something wrong.

have you scanned your computer for viruses,spyware....?

also while running CSS/HL2 push ALT+CTL+Del and go to performance and check how much Physical Memory (K) you have availible.

I have basically the same system apart from the card. I have a 9800Pro and i can run CSS/HL2 fine with all settings on medium and res a 1280x1024.

I use the Spybot/Ad-aware combo, I've done scans with both since the problem occured, so I don't think that's it.

Looking at the performance tab, I have about 220k available, and that's with this mozilla window running. I don't know if that's good or bad or what.

Someone suggested to me that it was my (admittedly crappy) sound card... but can a lame sound card be repsonsible for FPS drops?

when u say 220k do u mean 220 000? because if it says

Physical Memory (K)
Total: ####
Avavalible: 220
System Cache:####

if it says that it would mose likely be your problem. You have 1GB of ram and CSS/HL2 dosn't noramally take up to much.

A crap soundcard can sometimes put more strain on the CPU to process sounds, but it is nothing very noticeable.

Did this just start happening? or could you play CSS/HL2 befor with decent frame rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom