9800SE in a Dell Modding Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter-Strike

Daemon Poster
Ok so I have an older Dimension 4400 I have been fooling around with lately.

Here are the specs:

1.6 GHz P4 Williamette @ 2.0 GHz Stable
9800SE Click Here For The Link To The Card
768MB PC2100 RAM - 2.5-3-3-6
60GB Maxtor ATA133 HD
LITE-ON CD+RW Drive

Now what if I decided to buy a Zalman VF700-CU and replace it on the 9800SE with the stock HSF. Instead of that cheap thermal compound they give I would use AS5 of course.

It says that it is compatible with all VGA cards of the 9800SE so I am guessing it will fit. My Dell case has a TON of room. Now the question I have for you is would it be enough cooling to flash it to Pro or XT speeds for a fraction of the cost? Or could I at least OC it decently?

the VF-700 will defintely keep it cool enough for a pro flash, not sure about XT, try to OC it to XT speeds, then if its stable flash it. The VF-700 keeps my 9800pro flashed to 9800XT cool and OCed a little over stock 475/375 which stock is liek 419/360 i believe

Counter-Strike said:
Ok so I have an older Dimension 4400 I have been fooling around with lately.

Here are the specs:

1.6 GHz P4 Williamette @ 2.0 GHz Stable
9800SE Click Here For The Link To The Card
768MB PC2100 RAM - 2.5-3-3-6
60GB Maxtor ATA133 HD
LITE-ON CD+RW Drive

Now what if I decided to buy a Zalman VF700-CU and replace it on the 9800SE with the stock HSF. Instead of that cheap thermal compound they give I would use AS5 of course.

It says that it is compatible with all VGA cards of the 9800SE so I am guessing it will fit. My Dell case has a TON of room. Now the question I have for you is would it be enough cooling to flash it to Pro or XT speeds for a fraction of the cost? Or could I at least OC it decently?

I would guess it would do some sufficant overclocking. When I bought my 9800 PRO, it was 380/680 and I overclocked it to 450/750 on the stock cooler, but I had a few extra fans blowing on it. With a better heatsink I would think it would do the work of the extra fans I had, you should be able to reach PRO speeds at the least. Core clock on se is 350/600 so it should be really easy.

im guessing he flashed the bios from the mobo manufacter directly instead of using the dell bios's

You may want too add maybe another case fan in, because dell's case tend to run really hot, due to insufficient cooling.

Yeah I used a different BIOS. And you can't add case fans, unless you cut a hole yourself. Dell's cooling is actually quite efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom