Win XP Pro x64 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeF

Baseband Member
I recently got a copy of x64 for the new build I am working on (or waiting to work on more acurately. I have everything but the backordered Vcards) I am hearing that there are a lot of programs that will not work in the 64bit enviroment and that there is little advantage (at present) over regular xp pro. I was hoping for some more insight on this. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

thanks for the reply. I think I am going to stick with 32 myself Peace!

I'm going to switch to 64 just to try it... I did have to find some generic drivers though for my wireless card, worked but still sucks b/c a lot of companies aren't bothering to make drivers since 64 isn't popular yet. All my motherboard drivers were good, thanks MSI... I don't think it's even being sold in stores yet is it?

If you are refering to win xp x64 edition then yes it is being sold. I have a legit copy of it, but I think I am going to hold on to it a minute. Hard enough getting a high end pc to work right without software/driver issues though I would like to see how the few 64bit games that are out perform

when you revert back, make sure you use a windows 98 bootdisk to delete the partiton completely and then make a new one and then put xp on it

are you saying I should do a low level format on regular xp pro (32bit) before I install x64? I will be setting it up with 32bit first for a while and will hold on to the copy of x64 that I have (brand new OEM) till I think it's safe to jump in the water

There is no problem running software on the 64 bit version of XP I don't know where you heard that but what is true is that the driver support is lacking.

I am sure that there is no problem running software for XP x64 as long as they actually do make the drivers for them. Umm.. hence the dilema? Anyway 2 major ones for me are norton systemworks (I hate the interface on corporate 10 and it's the only one that works) and daemon tools. AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE! and there is no reason without 64bit apps to have x64. for the couple little promos that are out I will wait till they get it together at which time I will blow the dust off my OEM and check it out. BTW I am looking to trade for Norton systemworks 2006 having trouble getting a workable on that one. Peace!

Mostly driver issues, but I noticed a large speed boost with the programs that did work with it... i.e. Firefox, Steam, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom