Fried CPU, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hey,
My friend has a P4 he's willing to sell me because his CPU fan gave out and damaged the CPU, so that it fails to work correctly. It's a rather newish computer, and he's willing to sell me it for $200, since he wants to buy an Alienware...

What I'm wondering is what can I salvage from this computer? Should I be able to get a new CPU for it, or does the motherboard usually fry as well when a CPU fan gives out? Will the RAM or graphics card be damaged? What about the power source or Cd-drives? I need to know so that I don't end up spending $200 on a case and some fried scrap.

The only thing I believe could have fried is the CPU, maybe damaging the motherboard, everything else SHOULD be good, but I'm not positive, you should really test it before you buy it to be sure, or you might just get 200$ worth of scrap, btw what are the specs on it?

p4 should not fry man they clock down if it gets too hot or shut off have you seen the toms hardware video when they take off the heatsink the game slows to a crawl then the put the heatsink back on and the game returns to normal i dont think the cpu is fried. intels have had thermal protection since the P3.

Not sure on the specs. I know he gamed a lot, and he bought the computer sometime last year, so the specs should be decent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom