Boot/Heat Problem Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekno_ct

Baseband Member
My computer has been running and starting slower than usual, then one day a "Windows Explorer" error popped up after login screen. I selected the "Don't Send" option and there my computer stays. No Start bar, no desktop icons, nothing but the wallpaper. It responds to ctrl-alt-del but not to the start button on the keyboard. I tried repairing it with by booting the Windows XP Pro disc, after it copied all the setup files (.ini .cfg etc) still the same problem. I also noticed that the Hardware Monitor found a problem with my CPU Temperature, which seems to shoot beyond 75C (up to 80C) and is in red letters. I assume something is seriously wrong.

Any suggestions? All help and comments will be much appreciated.

thats 158 degrees to 176 degrees.

what monitor are you using? intel or amd?

Have you cleaned the case out lately and made sure the cpu fan is moving freely with adequate air flow?

A result of inadequate care of your computer.

Q:
1.Do you defrag your harddrive every month?
2.Do you run diskcleanup (CCleaner is a better altenrnative) every week?
3.Do you run Virus/Adware/Spyware scans every week or so?
4.Do you check the .exe files before opening them?
5.Do you overclock, if so, do you use good quality Thermal Paste? Also if you overclock at a very highlevel, do you have aftermarkest HS/F?
6.Do you use compress air/vaccum to clean the computer of dust?

If you don't do those then, well its already too late isn't it lol.

To fix overheating problems, clear the dust and apply Arctic Silver 5.

To clear your windows problem, scan for virus/adware/spyware. If it comes clean, run CCleaner(www.ccleaner.com), do a disk defrag/scan. If all that doesn't help, installing windows again wouldnt be a bad idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the problem is with the hardware.

I have replaced the hard drive with a backed up version of it, backed up date Sep 04, and the temperature is much lower (60-65C.) I am in the process of copying the My Documents over to the backed up version of the Hard Drive. Anyone know what could have caused the overheating of the current hard drive, but not the backed up one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom