First PC build...wtf am i supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomstick666

Daemon Poster
i just got all the parts except vcard...
and im just overwhelmed by the amount of cabling...
this is my first pc to build.
i just attached HD, DVD drive, processor and motherboard in to the case..
my parts r like this...

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
ZALMAN CNPS9500 Heat Sink
ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller Panel
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB (Not yet recieved)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
OCZ Titanium 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI 600W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA Silver

so...i can attach the power to all those fans and IDE drives in serial connection right??
and waita min..i got fan controller so which 1 to connect which???
should i put all the components first before connecting cables??
err..right now i have no idea wtf im doin....
all those jumper pieces on mothernoard...no clue...

any tips u can give me to make me not **** up??
(i know the fact that smoking doobie and drinkin beer while building PC is not gonna help me)

this is more complicated that the RC engine car i built when i was little..
yaya u all just laugh at me...

Sleeve and heatshrink all the cables hardcore so it doesnt look all cluttered you need some tools to do that though i did it at my last job..once you get a hang out if its easy

If you weren't ready to do it, you shouldn't be doing it. Starting first and learning how later is not how to do it.

That being said, you're moving a little too fast. Install the CPU on the motherboard. Intall the CPU Heatsink/fan on the motherboard. Intall the RAM on the motherboard. Install the PCU into the case. Install the motherboard into the case. Plug in the 4pin 12v power connecter from the PSU to the motherboard. Then plug in the 24 pin power connecter from the PSU to the motherboard. Plug in the PSU to an outlet and turn the PSU on, check for the green LED to be lit on the motherboard. If it does, turn the PSU off. Then connect the wires from the front of the case to the motherboard including the power button conneections. After that, turn on the PSU, then power on the computer, the fan on the CPU heatsink should start to run and not turn off. Hold the power button for 5 seconds till eveything shuts down, then turn off the PSU.

Start with that. There should be a manual that came with your motherboard which had detail instructions, or if you're are on the net, which you obviously are, there are plenty of guide you can find to walk you through this.

The next thing you would want to install is the video card, or in this case connect a monitor to the onboard video, power on the pc and see if the motherboard bios shows up. At that point you're good to go. Just keep adding more parts, hard drive, optical drives, checking the bios to see if each component is showing up in the system. And again, your mother board should have come with a manual. READ that before you do any of this, then read it again while you're putting it together.

thx for the advice cedjunior...
ill try that.
and i have another question about which slot to put my RAM in to DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR.
its 2x1G dual channel.
manual says this:
A DIMM's SPD is originally fixed at 1T. When modules are inserted
in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, the SPD must be 2T for better system
stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM 2 and DIMM 4.

i don understand what 1T or 2T is...so which slot should i put my memory in?
1 and 3 or 2 and 4?

btw some1 said this mobo is not for beginner...now im beginning to know why...
the manual is meant for experienced ppl...not much explanation..

for a 1st time computer build that is a very very good machine.....if i was you i would have practiced on a crappy old pc....just pull it apart and put it all together again...cause if you misplace sumthing in that pc....there goes alot of $$$

but yea good luck with the build...its gonna be a very good gaming pc :)

cool, i think i did everything right...
all LED were on, fan was on, front panel all works.
unfortunatelly i don have the vcard yet so i cant see it on BIOS.
but it all went fine i think...opical drive opens and HD is spinning..

ill post some picture when its done...when i get the vcard next week..
thx for all ur help.
i guess ill need some help for BIOS later...
since ive only owned mac so this is all new to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom