Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
I am having a problem with my Hard drives. I have a puter that has a 80gg WD hard drive in it wich has been the master for the puter since I had it. I bought a seagate 160gb HD to replace it. I am trying to set up the 160gb as a slave right now so I can transfer all the data from the 80gb to the 160gb. However, the puter will not recognize the 160gb HD. I went into Bios and tried to auto detect the drive but nothing. Says 136gb in bios. But when I boot the puter there is nothing listed under my computer in windows. The drive is getting warm like it is working, but nothing is coming up. WHat am I doing wrong?

P.S. The drives are IDE not sata.

Ya, I have switched the jumpers. I had the 80gb on master and the 160gb on slave..didnt work. I tried to just hook up the new 160gb drive as master and format it, but it didnt work. Its shows the HD part # in bios, but just wont recognize it. Im gonna try to run disk wizard and see what happens. I think its just a bad drive. I mean the only other thing I can think of is that the puter is a IDE 133 and the 160gb HD I bought is IDE 100. But I didnt think that that would even make a difference would it?

Is there a difference between ATA 100 or ATA 133? They both use the same flat ribbon cable. I figured it was just a difference in speed and I couldnt go wrong if I got a ATA 100. Does it mater if one is ATA 100 and other is ATA 133?

Ok, I ran the seagate disk wizard and it didnt work. Says it didnt detect a drive. Is there anything else I can do to check to see if the drive is bad? Anything that can be downloaded on a floppy and run before booting windows, in bios?

Ok, I did notice that it said it did not detect a SCSI drive. Could that be my problem? I dont know the difference between ATA 100, ATA 133 and SCSI. Can someone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom