rundll32.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpaul

Solid State Member
Everytime I shutdown or restart rundll32.exe needs to be manually shut down before the system will log out and turn off. I've run numerous virus scans and spyware scans and have tried restoring the file from my install disk with no luck. I'm running XP Pro, for reference.

try running spyware/adware programs.

have u exited every program before u hit the shut down button?

it could go not responding if theres too much things it has to do at shutdown.

Computers can only do what they're told to do. There not smart like us humans. SHut down all the shiat before you shut-down izzle...Had same prob

edit: what?

try this:
under MSDOS mode or cmd:

rundll32.exe user.exe,exitwindows

and see if it does the same thing?

Tried doing that and it still doesn't work. It appears I can terminate rundll32.exe from the processes without affecting anything.

of course you can... I have seen some people complaining about the same thing. when did it happen first? when it happened, what were you doing?

It first happened today right after I was restarting after running a virus scan. The scan found a couple low danger viruses and got rid of them no problem.

For XP Pro, rundll32.exe should not be running as a process or a service that needs to be "shut down" when you are shutting down your PC. You have a virus or a data miner that is disguising itself as rundll32.exe.
Follow the instructions under Windows XP on this page:
http://www.evozero.gamma.timdorr.com/computer-guides/s_startup.htm
Look under the command column....you should see a path for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe or something like that...
Can you please post what you see here. You will most likely be unchecking it but I want to make sure that you are unchecking the right thing.

-Mike

There was something called NvCpl that was running the rundll32.exe so I unchecked that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom