Service Pack 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
Alright, recently, I decided to install Service Pack 2 onto my laptop. No real reason, just figured it was time to update a little. And I must say, I'm not impressed. Talk about LAG! It's like running at about 25% CPU usage the whole time. The main 2 processes that are hogging resources are explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe. I think that's weird because neither should be taking up anything, especially when the computer is on idle. My friend and I lowered it to about 10% usuage total by eliminating unused services. That's better, but not good. It feels so laggy. I know the problem occures from Service Pack 2, because I've uninstalled and reinstalled it 2 times now, and when it was reverted back to SP1, it was the same as before.

Any advice? Anyone have a similar problem?

yea I had the same problem, sp2 monitors so much more of your computer now that it takes more cpu power. I dont use sp2 anymore. I see no point to it. Im getting ready to go back to linux anyway.

Well, I don't have it monitoring that much stuff I don't think. Very few things are running (18 processes). I'm completely stumped.

Also, now I have an actual reason to keep SP2 on my laptop. Visual Studio 2005 requires it. Does any one know a way that I could make Visual Studio 2005 work with SP1?

I have sp2 and my cpu usage at idle right now fluctuates between 0 and 1%. Have you googled this problem yet? Have you run antivirus and spyware scans?

Well, I'm going to slipstream it if I can't get it working. But I don't want to have to reformat and start over. Not a big huge deal, but just don't want to. Could it have been the SP2 file that I downloaded? I wouldn't have thought it would have been a problem because I downloaded the 250mb+ file sometime in the summer, after it was the official release.

Some people have alot of problems with SP2, others like me who installed it on 4 different computers, never had any problems with it.

Ste said:
Some people have alot of problems with SP2, others like me who installed it on 4 different computers, never had any problems with it.

they usually have problems when you install it on top on sp1. you don't usually have problems on a fresh install

AnthraX said:
Alright, recently, I decided to install Service Pack 2 onto my laptop. No real reason, just figured it was time to update a little. And I must say, I'm not impressed. Talk about LAG! It's like running at about 25% CPU usage the whole time. The main 2 processes that are hogging resources are explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe. I think that's weird because neither should be taking up anything, especially when the computer is on idle. My friend and I lowered it to about 10% usuage total by eliminating unused services. That's better, but not good. It feels so laggy. I know the problem occures from Service Pack 2, because I've uninstalled and reinstalled it 2 times now, and when it was reverted back to SP1, it was the same as before.

Any advice? Anyone have a similar problem?

Thats why I tell everyone to uninstall SP2... especially if you game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom