Need Help w/ Dead Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, if someone posts something like that just ignore them. Anyways i'm thinking it might be that your PSU is shot and cannot give power much power, therefore it is able to power something small like your HardDrive but not something big as your MotherBoard.
But that being said i'm sure your LED lights would turn on, so it's probalbly your motherboard.
BUT for future reference turn your computer off each time you connect something new, not just because you might blow one of your devices also because you might get a hefty shock ;) .

Thanks guys for your help. Raiden, I'm leaning towards the PSU myself because before this happened the computer had been randomly losing power every now and then. It wouldn't go completely off and shut off, it would just blink. I thought it was a problem with an old battery back-up and I replaced it, but I've since read that this is a classic symptom of a failing PSU. I'm going to get a new one today and try it out, so wish me luck. If it doesn't work, looks like I will go to the MB next.

Thanks again, and I have definately learned many lessons from this incident, which is cool by me!

Noobs should be banned from making new threads until they read a tutorial or something.....Common sense to not plug things in while its running.

I purchased a new PS today. I took the MB out of the case so that the only thing hooked up is the power to the MB, the power switch from the case to the MB, and the power cord between the PS and the outlet. I press the power switch, the MB gets power for a split second, the diagnostic LEDs blink, and then it dies, same as it was doing before. I am assuming that this set-up is OK and that the MB should at least get power in this arrangement. Is that correct? If so, it looks like it wasn't the PS. Or if it was, I screwed up something else while trying to diagnose the problem. Guess I'll get a new MB now, a poorer but wiser man...

electronicchild, raiden, and, yes, Ste(!), thanks for your helpful posts. I hope they continue as I try to work through this problem. SHAWN, please refer to my earlier reply, as it applies to you as well. (I know, I'm not supposed to respond, but those "holy-than-thou" posts from the "experts" just burn me. People come here for advice and assistance, not ridicule. If you think someone is stupid, think it to yourself. If everyone knew everything, would we really even need a "Hardware Troubleshooting" forum??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom