Need Help w/ Dead Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportzkat

Solid State Member
Came home today and my computer was dead. No fans, no drive lights, no nothing. Monitor was working but wasn't getting a video signal from the computer. When I hit the power switch, the computer "burps" like it gets a quick surge of power, then dies. No POST, nothing. Even the LED lights on the MB go dead. They flash "FF" for a second, then dead. It looks like the machine isn't getting power. I thought that the power supply was dead so I wanted to check it out. I unplugged the power wires to everything except one to a HD, then turned on the power and installed a jumper wire between the green and black wires on the 20-pin power connector. When I did this the drive got power and the fan on the power supply came on. I then re-plugged in the other drives individually and they all came on with no problems. When I plugged in the power to my video card, the power supply kicked off. So now IÂ’m thinking a short in the video card. I pulled the video card from the MB and then plugged the 4-pin power connector to the MB. When I did this the power supply also kicked off. I plugged a power connector into the video card outside of the case, and it caused the power supply to kick off as well. There appears to be a short somewhere, but where? I can't believe there is one in both the video card AND the MB, but why do they both cause the power supply to kick off?? Does this sound like the power supply has died, or something else?? If it is a power supply, any input on how to replace it is appreciated, as I have never done it. (This is my first build and the power supply was already in the case.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

I know, and I'm not going to be doing that anymore! No, I don't have another computer to try the power supply in. Any other suggestions?

I pulled the MB out of the box and plugged the power supply into it. Still no luck, but the board definatley is not shorted out to the case.

Thanks alot for your help!

It doesn't look like anyone on this board has any info that can help me. Can anyone reccomend another forum where I might post my problem to try and get some help?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Be patient.

and Why the HELL would you plug crap in when the computer is on, thats the most unsmartest thing ive ever heard in my entire exsistence...

I think you may have fried something in the process, I guess u learned your lession. I hope.

Ste,

If you don't have anything to offer, shut up. I hope your 1002 prior posts were more useful to someone than this one.

For what it's worth, as far as "why", I was just following the instructions from another well regarded site. (Here, see for yourself...http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/support/ATX_troubleshoot.htm). An expert like yourself would know right away that you power down and restart before doing #8, but a newbie like me does just what their told "8. Plug components back in - one at a time - to see what component is causing the short."

Lastly, before you go on telling others how "unsmart" they are, take a grammer class. Nothing makes you look stupider than the complete inability to communicate above a 5th Grade level. Maybe you need to study your "lessions" harder!

Your act is far "dumber" then mine, no matter what you say you can't make up for it and I did help But you just don't read everything I wrote. And that site is just as dumb for telling you to plug things in while your computer is on.

Nough said

and If you would like to view my previous posts you may.

easy guys why is everyone always so aggressive around this forum? lol actually i can't believe it i did almost the same thing last night. i was swapping power connectors and ide cable to a redundant drive in my case and i realised that when i hit the power it didn't turn off :( ahhhh. fortunately everything is alright. normally i turn the power off at the wall but my cmos battery is low and i try to avoid turning it off at the wall as much as possible (within reason of course i don't change pci cards etc with the power turned on at the wall). long story and i'm already hi-jacking here so i'll leave it. well unfortunately i'm pretty sure your motherboard is shot.

Look, I'm new to this site. I was referred here by someone who thought I might be able to get some help here. Post calling me "unsmart" and "dumb", ect, aren't help, so I, nor anyone else I'd imagine, needs or appreciates them. If that is what you get on this forum, you guys have fun here and I'm sorry I bothered you with a legitimate request for assistance.

I'll continue to monitor this thread to see if anyone has anything to offer, and I truely appreciate any assistance. However, this is my last response to anything Ste has to post. I simply yield to his superior intelligence... ;)

It sounds like the motherboard. I do agree that it would be better to have the power off before reconnecting cards and such. I can almost garuantee the manufacturer has it in their manual to never install while running. It might be worth taking it in for a MB problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom