A Holiday Gift for all types of Gamers : BYO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaara, that's far too intellegent of a rebutal. People who can't even follow the forum rules of "Signature Files" most certainly can't understand a word you just said. But, hey... good job anyway.

People here actually thought dual core is susposed to make a difference now? The only reason to get one now is future proofing, like I did. My dual core opty 165 got up to 2.5GHz per core. I'm happy.

Disclaimer: The following is not supposed to be a flame. I am simply being a smartass.

HAVOC2k5 said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH...In the last few weeks you have tested my patients with your completely immature antics and your snide remarks aimed towords my threads or posts.

I try.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Ode to Flanker.

Why, thank you. [/Not a flame]

Now on to the real thing.

gaara said:
Hate to break it to you mate but multicore processors are the future...why do you think AMD and Intel are already developing quad core processors? Current processor architecture simply cannot support higher clock speeds, especially the Intel spectrum since the silicon simply can't handle any higher clock speeds

The solution was relatively simple, take two cores and stick them on one die and then write future code with multiple threads therefore both cores are equally distributing the load. Basically rather than having one leet core processing everything you have numerous less powerful cores each with their own task, it makes perfect sense and one could call it the right way SLI should have been made

As far as your 2.7GHz outperforming a 3800+ Manchester, right now yes that will be the case, but I don't know how you came to the conclusion it outperforms it in multithreaded enviroments considering such a thing simply does not exist...a true multithreaded enviroment will most certainly have numerous slower cores working simuteanously together on specific instruction sets outperforming a single core, regardless of how fast it is

Maybe I could've saved you a big chunk of that post by saying 2 things; 1.) I perfectly understand the reason for Dual Core, and 2.) My post was about future games, not overall Dual Core environments.

So explain to me this (not arguing); if a CPU isn't the bottleneck in a game, then how would having a Dual-Core CPU help? In pure speed, sure the Dual Core would be faster, but when the videocard starts to become the bottleneck eventually, then what happens? If you have half the game running on one core, and the other half running on the other, there will probably be no lag, but will it improve actual performance (besides the increase from background programs not bogging down the CPU anymore)?

And lastly, tell me this; Does F.E.A.R. support Dual Core?

HAVOC2k5 said:
Gaara, that's far too intellegent of a rebutal. People who can't even follow the forum rules of "Signature Files" most certainly can't understand a word you just said. But, hey... good job anyway.

This comes to us from a guy that doesn't even have his own sig...:rolleyes:

How about you try to actually understand what we're talking about, instead of getting a $5000 PC and acting like you know the shit.

^^Exactly, while it is true the multicore processors are slower than single core processors right now...they still hold many key advatages, multitasking being a huge one, and like you said, overclocking a multicore processor will push it to current single core speeds and beyond...your current Opteron will either perform roughly the same or outperform Flankers 2.7GHz 3200+ in most every application

So explain to me this (not arguing); if a CPU isn't the bottleneck in a game, then how would having a Dual-Core CPU help? In pure speed, sure the Dual Core would be faster, but when the videocard starts to become the bottleneck eventually, then what happens? If you have half the game running on one core, and the other half running on the other, there will probably be no lag, but will it improve actual performance (besides the increase from background programs not bogging down the CPU anymore)?
If the CPU isn't the bottleneck then it doesn't matter how many physical cores you are using...you could use quad Opteron 880 processors in current games and the FX-57 would still probably perform better when it comes to raw speed...thing is, I'm not talking about now...right now, there's absolutely no question that a single core processor will perform the same as a mulitcore processor of the same frequencies in single threaded applications...I'm talking multithreaded applications in which case the FX-57 and other previously faster cores start getting overlapped by slower multicores

And lastly, tell me this; Does F.E.A.R. support Dual Core?
Yes and no...if your question is does FEAR optimize and take advantage of multicore processors in actual gameplay, then the answer is no. FEAR is a single threaded game that has been programed to only use one of the two cores while the other is dedicated to system or other operational threads outside of the game

Get a dual core processor and run FEAR and open up task manager...CPU load should hover around 50-60% under full load assuming you are only running FEAR and neccesary system processes

Flanker said:
Disclaimer: The following is not supposed to be a flame. I am simply being a smartass.

Yes we all know that your a smartass. Which is exactly what this forum doesn't need. You simply start attacking everyone elses threads like you're riding into the sunset on your high horse. Well, let me break you in on something champ, "Nobody likes a smartass."

By the way, I do have a sig. If you look closely it's a animated gif of a stick guy beating himself to death at the mercy of his keyboard. Which is how I feel sometimes, trying to get through to boneheaded kids like you.

This thread should be locked. It's completely not what i had intended. Or, may-be i'll just have it deleted. And then flanker when 100 new people register at this forum and post over and over and over again what they should buy for a gaming PC with-in a certain budget, everyone can direct them to you. PM's, EMAIL's, Phone calls??? Cause you are the guru here. You know more then everyone else. Pat yourself on the back dude! GG

I love it! This is great. This is my entertainment for the evening. You guys are so freakin argumentitive esp Flanker and 003........ Whats up with you guys, do you come here to vent your daily frustrations??
Anyways, well done Havoc for taking the time to make up those nice builds. We can direct some traffic here. When someone wants a new PC, instead of having to build one everytime, link them to this thread. Now, if CHANGES are necessary to the system, then we can make them to Havos configurations. Who says we cant! I didnt see them written in stone.
Screw makin some ATI builds. Do that in another thread. But for sure Havoc, you should add a couple more builds. Like a $700, a $900 and a $1700 dollar....for example. Yes overtime these components will need to be changed and adjusted. But if someone says "hey I need help buildin a $1200 gaming computer", and you dont feel like helping them, then you can point them to havocs thread cause it sure beats buying a Dell. That'll give them a base and depending on their needs it can be adjusted as necessary.
This is a help forum. We are here to help, discuss and learn about computers. So lets do it and stop bickering cause you dont like the dvd drive someone picked.
Thank god for Gaara, cause he's the only one who really has an open minded, knowledgable opinion to calm down these hostile threads. Now who wants to play BF2??

Edit: Oh yeah. I would be interested in meeting someone who uses a $2000-$3000 PC, solely for gaming. I would say that these people dont exist. Theres something called the internet and downloading, and music and video etc etc etc....And since eveything else IS MULTITASKING, then it makes sense to me to buy a dual core processor with a current build. Hell, running a game and not having to shut down your antivirus is enough reason right there. Its like when PCI-e came out and people said, "no your still better off to stick with AGP" or when LCDs got fast and people are still telling me to buy a CRT. I'm sure glad I didnt listen to them...phew.

I was never arguing, I was just posting the build I would personally suggest for $2500, I thought that was what this thread was for?

003 said:
I was never arguing, I was just posting the build I would personally suggest for $2500, I thought that was what this thread was for?

That's exactly what it was intended for. 003 I also added your build, I though it was a good one. So it's up there. I just wish more people would contribute like your did, instead of starting senseless arguements. I will configure a few more "base" models.

If there is anything in any of my configs, please tell me, i'll make changes if necessary. I'm not doing this to seem like a king, i'm doing it as a servent. Well, may-be not a servent. I'm just trying to help out.

Please contribute and stop the fighting. If we get a good enough group of gaming PC configs, may-be a nice mod will see it fit to sticky it. Let's get about 10 good models with all different types of components with all different budgets. I'll format the list as nice as possible. It will be a group effort. Everyone who contributes will be cited. Then we can use this potential sticky... to refer the 10000 threads that are posted a day about what gaming pc to build or buy.

Flanker, "Please give us your configuration." What ever budget you want. Thanks.

gaara said:
If the CPU isn't the bottleneck then it doesn't matter how many physical cores you are using...you could use quad Opteron 880 processors in current games and the FX-57 would still probably perform better when it comes to raw speed...thing is, I'm not talking about now...right now, there's absolutely no question that a single core processor will perform the same as a mulitcore processor of the same frequencies in single threaded applications...I'm talking multithreaded applications in which case the FX-57 and other previously faster cores start getting overlapped by slower multicores.

Yes yes, I mean in multicore games. If the CPU ceases to be the bottleneck in the game, as is most often the case (and thus the videocard starts) then what point is there in having a Dual Core?

HAVOC2k5 said:
And then flanker when 100 new people register at this forum and post over and over and over again what they should buy for a gaming PC with-in a certain budget, everyone can direct them to you. PM's, EMAIL's, Phone calls??? Cause you are the guru here. You know more then everyone else. Pat yourself on the back dude! GG

AOL Instant Messenger will do just fine. My screenname is DarkFlanker.

vaderpro said:
I love it! This is great. This is my entertainment for the evening. You guys are so freakin argumentitive esp Flanker and 003.

Yes, I actually come here twice a day to vent my frustrations. And yes, 003 and I get into the most arguments lately (usually with eachother ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom