BIOS problems: out of ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenlingstyle

In Runtime
Sigh...as some of you have read in my other post that I've fiddled around with overclocking my Athlon XP 3200+. I've encountered a new error now that I've been trying to troubleshoot all night with no success.

Ever since my system wouldn't restart after all the overclocking I did, which has happened once before, I proceeded to reset the CMOS by removing the battery and reseating the jumpers. Afterwards, the system started up fine and got to the logo screen which always appears in the beginning along with a beep. This happened last night and it was late so I turned the computer off before it proceeded any further, assuming it was all fine.

Today I come back happily and ready for some more overclocking, and find that it won't boot up properly. It cannot get to the logo screen and I do not hear any beeps. My monitor is unresponsive also. So I once again reset the CMOS and boot up. It works and this time I got into Windows and everything is normal. I restart the computer to make sure it's fine, but it's not. It cannot get to the logo screen once more. Monitor becomes unresponsive. No beeps, nothing. The same pattern persists. I reset CMOS, everything's fine, I restart again, and nothing's working. The fans are on, the lights are on, the drives are spinning.

I have no choice but to conclude that it was a BIOS problem. I actually managed to update the BIOS using a floppy and still the same problem.

I don't know what to do anymore. Here's a piece of info that may help. Each time I get it to work (by resetting CMOS) I get this error during start-up: CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded.

I did some research on this and the possibilities are that the battery is dieing, or my BIOS is corrupt.

I am out of ideas, this computer is the first one I've built and I need to depend on it for another while.

Can someone please help me or give some suggestions.

I appreciate your help.

EDIT: one further piece of info is that each time I get it to work, BIOS and CPU-Z says my cpu is running at 1.1 GHz with an approx. 100 MHz FSB, but my ram is running at 200 FSB. This did not happen the last time I reset my CMOS.

I don't think so, there are only 3 pins for that jumper and the little cap thing only covers two at a time, i just shifted it one pin to one direction and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom