Proformance increase from AMD Athlon Xp 2600 to Intel Pentium 4 D 2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Last night i won the door prize of an Intel Pentium 4 D 2.8 CPU.
Now the question I have is what am i going to do with it?

My current specs are :-
AMD ATHLON XP 2600 , 2x 512Mb @ FSB 400 Ram, APG GeForce FX5700 256Mb (Full Detailed Specs are here
Now orginally I was planning on upgrading this after chinese new year 2007.
Like my computer usage is gaming, and most of the time I am playing MMORPGs and the occasional FPS. So far the only FPS that died on me as been F.E.A.R. And HL2 Lost Coast was very playable.

Now if I move over to
Intel Pentium 4 D 2.8 CPU, 2x 512Mb @ DDR2 667, I face the problem with having to replace most of my existing tech. Like the video card I will be going for will be NVIDIA GeForce 6200 chipset. I would like some thing more, but it really comes down to money.

So the questions is this, how much perfromance increase am I going to expect from changing from AMD ATHLON XP 2600 , 2x 512Mb @ FSB 400 Ram, APG GeForce FX5700 256Mb to Intel Pentium 4 D 2.8 CPU, 2x 512Mb @ DDR2 667, NVIDIA GeForce 6200?
And will it be worth my while? Or should I just sell of my Intel Pentium 4 D 2.8 CPU and continuing kicking my current PC around for another year?

Depends what you do with your computer, currently clock for clock the 2600+ should perform approxiamately the same as the Pentium in current single threaded applications...with the Pentium D gaining a significant edge in memory bandwidth as well as larger cache

However, once you throw in a multithreaded enviroment (eg autocad, photoshop, video editing, MY SQL server etc.) the Pentium will clearly take the lead as it is basically two 2.8GHz processors with larger cache and memory bandwidth versus one slower 2.6GHz equivelent

Games should perform almost identical on both, with the PD again taking an edge with load times due to memory bandwidth

That's a sweet deal for a door prize though

I would build on the P-D. Overall it is a MUCH more powerful system than your XP system. Get a nice HSF on that CPU and you should be able to get 3.4Ghz-3.6Ghz out of it quite easily.

Of course a better gfx card would be nice. You got the comp for free, you can throw out a couple hunny for a 6800GS :p

gaara said:
However, once you throw in a multithreaded enviroment (eg autocad, photoshop, video editing, MY SQL server etc.) the Pentium will clearly take the lead as it is basically two 2.8GHz processors with larger cache and memory bandwidth versus one slower 2.6GHz equivelent.
The problem is that I don't do that sort of stuff.
Like I do a bit of DVD Authoring, but I have all ready set a second computer (WAKE UP NEO...) for that anyways. And ever since i got my Media Centre working, I really don't do that much any more.

About the only time that I feel that i would take advantage of Dual Core at this stage is when I am backing up DVDs at the same time as playing computer games.

gaara said:
That's a sweet deal for a door prize though
Oh yeah. You should see the Microsoft T-shirt I won on monday.

003 said:
You won't be playing F.E.A.R and hl2 with a 6200.
Not going to be able to afford anything better right now. I was hinting the chirstmas gift idea of PC parts to my parents this year, but don't think that worked last night. And after the shit they have done for me this year, I am not going to bug them.

idiotec said:
You got the comp for free, you can throw out a couple hunny for a 6800GS :p
I got the CPU for free. I still need the motherboard, processor, ram and video card.

I got the CPU for free. I still need the motherboard, processor, ram and video card.
Oh, shit, I misread this thing from the beginning, I thought you got a whole system :eek:

A Dual Core by itself is a pretty nice deal. If you can afford to build a system around it, it'd turn out to be a pretty nice PC. And if you overclock you could easily get 3.2GHz out of it which would essentially result in a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (probably better, because of HT).

If not, either save up until you can (I believe you have a job) or sell it on EBay.

The performance increase will be there. Not TOO much in games, but it WILL be better than your current processor even in games. Again, not by TOO much.

Flanker said:
If not, either save up until you can (I believe you have a job) or sell it on EBay.
Saving up is not the problem. It just that I have all ready invested enough money into my current PC. And since my current tech is socket A, I am not going to be getting a good price on selling it off second hand. I rather run my current tech into the ground and get my value for money of the PC, as appose to trying to selling it off 2nd and getting gipted on the price.

idiotec said:
Oh, shit, I misread this thing from the beginning, I thought you got a whole system :eek:
If it was a whole system, I would not be having this problem in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom