DVD ROM will burn cds but not DVDs!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stelee

Solid State Member
Hi there.
I've just built myself a new system and put my existing dvd writer in it. I used to write many dvds on my old system with the same writer, but in my new system I just cannot write a single one!! The ironic thing is that i can write cds!!! When I try to write a dvd, it just freezes the program as it begins to write (1%.) Therefore the disc is useless as it says the disc is not empty once i restart my computer and try to write to it again! PLEASE HELP!!! It is driving me insane!!!
Thanks to anyone!!!!

sounds like either a firmware, or software issue...

make sure you have all the aspi drivers installed too etc.

I would go into the device manager and unistall the dvd drivers and reboot. Try that first.

Nero 6 has always been faultless, but I tried another burning program just in case it was Nero and that did the exact same thing. At the very start of the burn process the progress bar stays at 1% and I never hear the disc start to spin faster when the buffer kicks in like normal! The buffer doesnt kick in and then Nero becomes non-responsive!!! I've tried installing the latest firmware and removed the drivers in device manager, but this hasnt altered anything!!

Thanks for ur suggestions so far...any more ideas are greatly appreciated.

I've uninstalled and installed Nero and even wiped my whole drive clean and started again with a new copy of windows and still no change. Even the simulated write in nero stays at 1% and buffer doesnt kick in too!!!!! I'm beginning to worry there is a fault with my new cpu/mb.....

if it was anything to do with hardware, it would probabbly be the DVD burning laser. a DVD burner has 4different lasers; to read CD's, burn CD's, read DVD's, and burn DVD's.

Well.....I've just tried the writer on my old system and it still burns dvds on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Used the same RAM, IDE cable, writer and copy of windows, so something on my new system must be causing the prob???!!! I just cant figure it out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom