Unknown invisible user

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBill

Beta member
Hi,
For a few weeks my computer had been actiong funny, sometimes very slow, things freeze up all the time, and the task manager would not come up no matter what.
It had crossed my mind that maybe I had a virus or something of the sort, however, I discovered something even more frightning.

Everytime when I turned the computer on, it would bring me to the login screen, but I only had 1 user. I decided after a while to investigate. I pulled up the control pannel, and opened the user accounts manager, and behold, I was not alone. There was another user titled API.NET with some code after it, and it was password protected. I deleted the account right away, along with all the files in it.
I then went on a rampage deleting every suspicious program that i found, and password protected my own account.

Does anyone know how something like this could have happened? How they got into my computer, close enough to make a user account for themselves.

nobody got in your computer man. that's a default user created by Windows and i believe it's tied to IIS.

Yep... and once you deleted that profile your desktop icons from previous installs would go bye bye. Yikes!!!

API is something like Advanced Programing Interface

try going to Microsoft and doing the updates, that may fix....i think your pc is infected so actually you should take care of that first.

Ok, here we go:

ASP.NET is Microsoft .Net Framework; not API.Net

Windows API is the Microsoft Windows application programming interface (API) provides building blocks used by applications written for Windows, including Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 98, and Windows 95. You can provide your application with a graphical user interface; display graphics and formatted text; and manage system objects such as memory, files, and processes.

I don't think it is tied to IIS, we can find out for sure, did you install IIS, if so, then how did you?

ASP.NET is tied to IIS because it enables an Internet server running on Windows to use ASP. or so i thought.

i just assumed he meant ASP.NET because API.NET makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom