Laptop makes new noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
The laptop I have has started to make noises that it never used to before. Apart from the normal HDD noise, it appears to be making another noise that sometimes sounds almost like a beep.

In addition to this, when I click on the Start button in Windows, the laptop occasionally likes to think about it for a while, make some noises (perhaps a faint grinding sound, and that other sound I referred to above) before the Start Menu actually appears.

Is this likely to be a software issue, or is my hardware slowly falling apart?

first off your signature quote is awesome haha. ide run an advanced scan on your hard drive, it could be on its way out, but there could be things jamming it up too. Virus or spyware or maybe its just realy really low on available memory and performing poorly because of that. So maybe just hardware, maybe just software, maybe a mix of both.

download the ultimate boot cd (free) and run one of the tests on there (good cd to have anyways) or else you could find a stand alone program by your hard drive manufacturer. I like the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Just google it to find it.

can you define the "beep"? is this a speaker beep or would it occur even if sound was off? If you are hearing a grinding it could be your cooling fan. Listen at start up and see if it coincides with your fan speed. An overheated drive will not work well. obviously.

electronicchild said:
can you define the "beep"? is this a speaker beep or would it occur even if sound was off? If you are hearing a grinding it could be your cooling fan. Listen at start up and see if it coincides with your fan speed. An overheated drive will not work well. obviously.

The beep definitely sounds like an internal sound, that is to say; it's not coming through the speakers. The last time I turned on the laptop, the noises that were made were no different to that of how it normally starts up.

kurt2439 said:
download the ultimate boot cd (free) and run one of the tests on there (good cd to have anyways) or else you could find a stand alone program by your hard drive manufacturer. I like the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test. Just google it to find it.

I'm just about to try the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, making sure I steer clear of these options: "Erase Bootsector utility (use DFT Utility option: Erase Boot Sector) and Low-level format utility (use DFT Utility option: Erase Disk)". Actually, strike that, I'm busy right now... I'll try it tonight and let you know how I got on.

haha yes, definately stay away from those options. When you scan the drive try the quick test first to see if there are any "obvious" errors, then try the advanced. If you get an error code other than "0x00" you have problems hehe

Okay... I don't think it's the fan. And I tried that diagnostic tool but the CD-ROM wouldn't boot when I turned the computer on.

Is there perhaps a different tool that I could try to figure out what is wrong?

Okay, I ran a Seagate Harddrive diagnostic test under DOS and all the physical tests turned out fine, except for the File Structure Test, which failed.

The following messages were displayed:

"Failed with Critical Errors"

"One or More Errors Were Found in the Index".

So what does that mean and is it fixable?

To top it all off, when I turned my laptop back on and booted into Windows, Active SMART 2.42 that I had installed earlier displayed errors with the 'Raw Read Error Rate' and the 'Temperature'. I have attached a log file of that to this post.

Is there anything I can do to fix these problems as the beeping sounds are becoming much more frequent.

Attachments

• smartlogfile.txt
    431 bytes · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom