fork

Baseband Member
So here is what I have a compaq sr1130nx
athalon xp 3000+ 400mhz fsb
512 3200 ram
160gig
dvd rw
cd rom

I'm planning on getting a 6600gt 128 mb agp and an other 512 mb 3200 ram, I'm relatively new to the upgrading thing, but I have been reading a ton.

Is there any other easy upgrades I can make, to make this perform a little better, I'm not sure If I could handle over clocking

one more thing, my old computer that took a dump was an amd Thunerbird processor 600 or 700 mhz, but it had a really good fan on the cpu, would that fit on this cpu?

thanks for the help in advance.

defintely get a 6600GT and bump up to 1GB of ram, make sure your psu will handle the video card. As long as the old heatsink has the clips on the side it will work.

thanks for the help, an other question though, would I be better off getting a 1 gig ram stick, thinking of future upgrades, or is it better to have the same size ram in each slot, I think it doesn't matter unless it is dual channel right?

This doesn't sound glamourous but you might look at an additional cooling fan if you plan to have a lot of things heating up in there. It's relativley inexpensive. Are you going to be gaming, designing, or just general multimedia stuff?

also, make sure your compaq system has an AGP port because some pre-built systems like that dont. Best to check before you buy. But the 1gb of ram is a good idea, so is the 6600gt as long as you check internal compatiblilty.

also, on your 6600gt, which i HIGHLY reccomend for cheapness/greatness, get a eVGA-i got a xfx and i like it and havnt had any probs BUT some say they have heat issues dunno also, how many ram slots do u have? if u have at least 3, get another 512mb-they are cheaper, it generally isnt a good idea to get different sized ram sticks-i have 2 512mbs and i am happy

depends on how many slots ya got =/, and how much ram you really think you'd use >_>. Though it'd probably be easier just to stick ta a single 1 gig stick, and add on later if you really need to

Wow thanks for all the help,
So it looks like I'm going to go with the 512 3200, and the vga 6600gt 128 mb, and maybe an extra fan.

Are there any better processors that can be used with this mother board, I've searched but the only thing I can find is the AMD XP 3200+ which is a very small difference. I don't rerally think that is an option but would it be possibl eto over clock my processor??

Thanks again, you all have been very helpfull

if you are going to upgrade your cpu, you will most likely have to buy a whole new mobo. Then you might as well buy a new case and power supply. After that you can buy a whole new set of ram and optical drives and cool pretty lights :)

im selling some fans in the off topic sectoin if you are willing to buy some :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom