Still having stuttering problem even after trying new HDD, PSU, and motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

o29

Solid State Member
I can't seem to get a real response from anyone about this.

I've been having a stuttering problem ever since I installed a new 250GB HDD. Since then, I've disconnected the hard drive, updated BIOS, replaced the motherboard, and replaced the PSU. It's not likely that it's the hard drive itself, as I have the same stuttering problem when booting off of the 250GB HDD.

The stuttering basically only occurs when I run anything that's semi CPU-intensive. Nothing too hard on it, but when I have Winamp playing a song while I load Firefox, the music will stutter during the loading. For things like torrents, as long as I'm uploading or downloading with a torrent, it will stutter about every 5-10 seconds. The mouse also gets choppy, and my CPU usage jumps to 75%-100% during the duration of the stuttering.

I've definitely run out of ideas. Aside from replacing my CPU, but I ran Knoppix off of my CD-ROM drive and didn't find a stuttering problem there. Although, I couldn't find anything to run that was very CPU-intensive in Knoppix, so maybe that's why? However, I think Knoppix proves that it isn't a RAM problem, considering that the entire OS runs off the RAM. I also ran tests on the RAM, and everything seemed normal.

I now have:

Antec SmartPower 2.0 400W PSU
PCChips M871G Motherboard
Athlon 64 3400+ CPU
1 Gig Ram
150GB HDD
250GB HDD (not connected)

To make things worse, I just RMA'd my Radeon 9800 Pro, so now my computer is basically crap. I'm running off of onboard video, but if I can fix this stuttering problem, I'll install my old GeForce TI4200 just to get me by until I get my Radeon back. However, as of now it's not worth it because my computer stutters too much to attempt to run anything that would require a good video card.

I'm tired of spending money on things that aren't fixing the problem. I really don't want to buy a new CPU, as it would obviously cost even more than I've spent on a PSU and motherboard.

Please help?

Well, I would go to a computer repair shop, and pay them for a diagnosis, it will run you about $15-30. It is hard to troubleshoot a problem like that on the internet without having the computer physically in front of me.

If you ran linux and didn't get problems, then perhaps it's a software problem? Have you scanned for viruses, spyware, etc?

but he could not find anything CPU intensive to run on linux, and his shuttering only happens when he has CPU intensive tasks running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom