View Disk Space With XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain

Baseband Member
Hi There,
Might be a simple fix, but I cant seem to figure it out. Basically, in 2000, when you connect to a hidden share, for instance \\servername\c$, it will show the disk space on the left hand side of the screen. With XP, it doesnt show that. Is there any way for XP to show this by going through the run command. Right now the only ways I can check for disk space are to map the share, or Term Serv to a 2000 box and view it through there. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, except even viewing by Details does not show the Disk Space details. If you want to test, just connect to \\yourpcname\c$.

You confused the heck out of me!???? Right click on your drive Icon.....see the pie....just don't try to eat it!!

You must have XP Classic on. I do so I switched back to default. I mapped the share to my pc \\coolermaster\c$ and then went to my computer and on the right hand side when I put the mouse on the share, the volume showed how big the drive is and how much is being used. Is that what you are talking about?

Sorry, I may not have described that well enough. Basically, I do not want to actually map the drive to the other PC. All I want to do it view the hidden share by going to Start, Run, then \\computername\c$ and being able to view the disk space on that drive. With Windows 2000, it was there, but with XP, it does not display it. I am fully aware that when the drive is mapped, and shows up in My Computer, that it will show the drive space. Maybe if I explain why Im doing this, it might help aswell. Basically Im in IT for a company, and we like to monitor the disk space on each system without having to use RDP, and when running BAT files, it just seems to cause a bigger problem when trying to map them back and such. So for a sollution, with Windows 2000, we could just connect to the hidden share from the Run command, and it would show the details. XP does not seem to have this same display option. Hope this didnt confuse anyone further.

Ok, I'm with ya now. Can you post a screen shot of the 2000 run command with the share showing the contents so I can get a better idea?

Sure, here is the screen shot in 2000

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 28
Well, I dont think you can. What you can do is use a script to tell you how much each user has left on their c drive, do you know how to script?

Alright, just seems weird that XP would eliminate this feature. Thanks for the help guys. And yes, I do know how to script this sort of stuff, just wish I could access it the same way as I did in 2000. Ill get my pen and paper out and sent a letter to Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom