Planning to build new computer, decided on motherboard and CPU, need reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakhir

Solid State Member
Hello
I am planning to build a new computer these holidays, for gaming and perhaps slight overclocking. I am on a rather tight budget, but will compromise "the best" for a decent price/quality. Main goals are a decent gaming computer with ample upgrading opportunity for the future.......
After some research I decided on my choices for the motherboard and CPU, as follows:

Motherboard:
MSI 945P Neo-F Socket 775 ATX, FSB 1066/ 800/ 533MHz, PCIE, SATA
information link(and site I plan to purchase from): http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/9148_MSI_945P_Neo_F_Socket_775_ATX__FSB.asp

CPU:
INTEL PENTIUM 4 640/ LGA775/ 2MB CACHE/ 800FSB/ 3.20Ghz

Now I am having trouble deciding on a case for these components, I figure a decent tower sized ATX model case, with a decent power supply upwards of 500W. What should I look out for and what would be reccomended to go with these components?

I have not baught these parts yet, so any opinions or reccomendations on motherboard/CPU are welcome!!
Also, motherboard price = $195 AUD
and CPU price = $369 AUD
total: $564 --- not bad??

Thanks in advance.

ah, you're an aussie aswell...

I can tell you some good places to buy things from:
www.msy.com.au
their site doesn't look great, but they're extremely cheap.

www.cpl.net.au
pretty cheap, have a wide variety

www.pccasegear.com.au
have lots of things for cases, they also have some motherboards, power supplies, and CPU's - although their CPU's are expensive.

anyway, I'd recommend an AMD system for gaming. the Athlon 64's are built for games.

DFI NF4 Ultra-D - $209
this motherboard is used in the top records for overclocking.
it has 2x PCI-E 16x slots, SATA, and a 2000MHZ HTT (kind of like the FSB, but it's different on Athlon 64's)

Athlon 64 Venice 3700+ - $348
look under socket 939

total is AU$557

and it will give you better gaming performance than the Intel 640

Well what sort of case would you reccomend for this? Big yet cheap and cool....

I need to know what is compatible with these components and what isnt, eg. ATX etc....
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom