computer lagging...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
For some reason, out of nowhere all the programs in my computer started lagging. So I crtl+alt+del and I see this which is taking up alot of CPU. I tried ending the process but it says the operation could not be completed, the operation is not valid for this process. I tried shutting down and restarting my computer but its still there. How can I fix this? There is also something called mpservic.exe that seems to be taking quite a bit of CPU too, like 20-40.

Attachments

• lag.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 35
thats part of windows dude you must have spyware though but system idel process just show how much is not being used.

lol you are like the 5th person im my memory to freal out about it

But my whole computer lags, and i want to fix that. I use ad-aware and its not finding anything but cookies.

b1gapl said:
But my whole computer lags, and i want to fix that. I use ad-aware and its not finding anything but cookies.

Google says, mpservic.exe, is a process that assists local and network printing.
I'd suggest that if you are sure ur system is free from spyware (if ur not, get your HJT examined by an expert ), see if there are too many items loading at startup, (start>run>MSCONFIG)if so, uncheck those that u dont need loading at boot. You could check it up at this link
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html.
Also do some basic cleaning up, like running the disk cleanup, chkdsk and also run the disk defragmenter. This can help smoothen the performance.
How much memory do you have? You might want to add more, it can help increase speed esp if ur running memory intensive programs.

I had a stick of memory go bad on a computer at work recently. The computer acted exactly as you have described yours for a couple days, then it locked up. When I tried to restart it I got a message window saying part of the memory would not load properly and the computer would not go any farther. Hopefully it's not something like what I had.

I would second the suggestion of dma11 above, see how much background stuff you have that starts when you start the computer, and also check how much memory you have. All that background stuff ties up a lot of resources, including memory, and all of this can definitely bog a system down.

Try this...

Start > Run > msconfig <ENTER>

Startup Tab

Uncheck everything you don't need. Obviously not your internet config or whatever. You can always reenable this stuff, so try unchecking everything and restarting.

See if that helps anything.

Also in the task manager (ctrl alt del) under Performance what does the number below PF Usage say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom