Upgrading general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klorel

Beta member
I want to purchase a new video card soon but notice almost all new cards are PCIe's. I have a MSI board with just an AGP slot.

If I want a PCIe card then I know I have to purchase a new MOBO, but I am conscerned about my RAM. I have a gig of PC2100 and I am not sure if I will be req to get a new type of RAM for the new MOBO.

Here is what I have now.

P4 2.4ghz
Saphire ATI 9600 pro 128
1gig of PC2100 RAM

Could I get a MOBO that has the PCIe slot and still keep the P4 and memory? Should I get faster memory?

Thanks!!
Rob

you coudl just buy a regular mobo with a pcie16 slot that suports up to pc3200 ram your ram will be running very slow lol

Thanks guys!

Those MOBO's would work great. The ASRock would give me time to get the new video card later since it has both an AGP and PCIe.

The Albatron has the PCIe x1 and PCIe x16. Whats the difference between x1 and x16?

x1 = useless right now. I think there are only a couple of oddball cards for the x1 so far.

Don't worry about it for now. It may/may not get off the ground.

Am i the only one who would be conserned with using a motherboard that has both a AGP and PCIE slot? dont you think it might be possible that the performance quality of the two slots may suffer because thy squeezed them both onto one board?

Besides some poeple have said that some of the dual AGP/PCIE boards only run the AGP slot in pci mode.

jolancer said:
Am i the only one who would be conserned with using a motherboard that has both a AGP and PCIE slot? dont you think it might be possible that the performance quality of the two slots may suffer because thy squeezed them both onto one board?

Yea; they tend to run slower, from what i've heard, though they should work fine, though I don't know firsthand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom